Join for free
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2020, 03:36 PM

Labour leadership

It would appear that contenders for the Labour leadership are crawling out of the woodwork, the latest one to join the ranks being Keir Starmer.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-50996799

At last, they seem to have acknowledged the reasons why they had a truly crushing defeat in the General Election, one candidate highlighting ridiculous promises that they couldn't possibly keep while ignoring the troubles with public transport and other important issues. It may have helped if they had honoured the vote in the referendum to leave the EU and expedited the process instead of ignoring the wishes of their core voters, the majority of whom voted to leave and saying publicly that they would honour the result before turning full circle and start dithering over it.

The one thing they must do is to purge the Party of Momentum with their (dare I say it, Marxist agenda?) and their adherents. They need to get back to the original grass-roots Labour Party and its supporters rather than be concentrating on the London Bubble.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2020, 03:54 PM

Re: Labour leadership

What is this London Bubble you speak of?

Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2020, 05:27 PM

Starmer gives me the creeps .I don't rate any of the candidates, best of a bad bunch would be if Dan Jarvis could be persuaded to stand.

That would be a move away from the Islington elite to an ex member of Parachute Regiment with northern roots. ,
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2020, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
What is this London Bubble you speak of?

London and its environs in the South-East. Plenty of investment and increased infrastructure down there. New railway? Certainly, enter cross-rail. New airport runway anyone?

What's wrong with increasing investment in the North where it is needed? The money wasted/spent on cross-rail could have easily been spent on a new rail system across the Pennines from Liverpool to Hull for example or go toward improving the dire Northern Rail network for commuters. Doncaster airport could be expanded bringing much-needed holiday traffic and commercial flights into the region.

The North has been greatly neglected for decades now, no wonder then that voters in deprived areas rejected Labour in favour of the Conservatives who at least give the idea that things could improve. Time will tell of course whether that will come to pass.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2020, 08:19 PM

What ever happened to George Osborne's "northern powerhouse"?
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2020, 11:00 PM

None of the candidates seem to have that ‘special something’ that sets them aside. Their voices grate, especially the women.
Emily Thornberry should get first prize for the meaning of ‘Delusion’’. Plus, she starts everything with... ‘Look’!
I think they are going to struggle to find anyone suitable but they all seem to fancy themselves as the leader!
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2020, 08:50 AM

All of the half decent labour MPs either jumped ship or were beaten at the election, so whichever of the bunch of no hopers and harridans gets the leadership it will just be dross leading the other dross. A tragedy really, although I am tory through and through labour used to have some MPs worthy of respect, and their party could really use them now...
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2020, 09:23 AM

Hi

I am no Tory, old fashioned Labour, middle of the road.

I am quite willing to pay more Tax to help those most in need.

I find myself in total agreement with both Barry and Judd.

There is no way I am going to be voting Labour with the current bunch.

I am not a Marxist.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2020, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

I am no Tory, old fashioned Labour, middle of the road.

I am quite willing to pay more Tax to help those most in need.

I find myself in total agreement with both Barry and Judd.

There is no way I am going to be voting Labour with the current bunch.

I am not a Marxist.
I am most certainly NOT willing to pay a penny more tax even though presently I pay none. Instead all illegals should be expelled along with so called asylum seekers who go home for holidays and those claiming to be from places that are now perfectly safe for them to return to.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2020, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
What ever happened to George Osborne's "northern powerhouse"?
It went "South".

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top