Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2020, 08:05 AM

One of the greatest movies of all time

I have lost track of how many times I have seen "The Shawshank Redemption". I never tire of it. A magnificent piece of film making. Two thumbs up !

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	thJ29LW18P.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	11478  
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2020, 08:34 AM

Re: One of the greatest movies of all time

It is an excellent film, Bakerman.

There are a few more that I never tire of watching - these two among them:-

"The Sundowners" with Deborah Kerr and Robert Mitchum.
"The Shiralee" wiih Peter Finch ('they' remade it with Bryan Brown but it was not so good)
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2020, 08:45 AM

YES!!!...Hermano!..We have seen Shawshank so many times we almost know the script verbatim. Every scene is a masterpiece. It is an inspirational story that everybody who has an opinion about capital punishment prisons and justice should see. Words are beyond me. It's my very favourite. Along with The Day Of The Jackal with Edward Fox, Schindlers List with Liam Neeson, Sophie's Choice, Gladiator and Braveheart (Although Bhrt not strictly historically accurate still a huge epic)
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2020, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
YES!!!...Hermano!..We have seen Shawshank so many times we almost know the script verbatim. Every scene is a masterpiece. It is an inspirational story that everybody who has an opinion about capital punishment prisons and justice should see. Words are beyond me. It's my very favourite. Along with The Day Of The Jackal with Edward Fox, Schindlers List with Liam Neeson, Sophie's Choice, Gladiator and Braveheart (Although Bhrt not strictly historically accurate still a huge epic)
Not keen on those two, Keezoy, but agree about the other three. Mentioning Liam Neeson reminds me of another one "Nell" with Jodie Foster. A strange film - but excellent. Was it based on a true story - or did I just make that up?
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2020, 09:23 AM

Nell is based on Mark Handley's play Idioglossia, the script for Nell was developed by co-producer Renée Missel and was inspired by Handley's time living in the Cascade Mountains in the 1970s, and the story of Poto and Cabengo, twins who created their own language.

From Wikipedia.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

24-01-2020, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
Nell is based on Mark Handley's play Idioglossia, the script for Nell was developed by co-producer Renée Missel and was inspired by Handley's time living in the Cascade Mountains in the 1970s, and the story of Poto and Cabengo, twins who created their own language.

From Wikipedia.
Thank you, Keezoy!
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2020, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
There are a few more that I never tire of watching - these two among them:-

"The Sundowners" with Deborah Kerr and Robert Mitchum.
"The Shiralee" with Peter Finch ('they' remade it with Bryan Brown but it was not so good)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sundowners_(1960_film)

Dorothy Hammerstein, Australian-born second wife of Oscar Hammerstein II intended to send Fred Zinnemann a copy of the novel "The Shiralee" (later filmed with Peter Finch), but accidentally sent a copy of "The Sundowners" instead. He immediately bought the screen rights and decided to produce it himself. Robert Mitchum agreed to work on the film for a chance to appear opposite Deborah Kerr, with whom he had become good friends while making "Heaven Knows, Mr. Allison" together.

Zinnemann was determined to film The Sundowners on location and vetoed Jack L. Warner's plan to shoot in Arizona or near Dallas, Texas, to save money. Interiors were shot at Associated British Pictures Corp. Elstree Studios in England; exteriors were shot in Australia at Cooma, Nimmitabel, and Jindabyne of New South Wales and in Port Augusta, Whyalla, Quorn, Iron Knob, Hawker and Carriewerloo in South Australia.

Filming began in 1959. Zinnemann spent 12 weeks filming scenery and sheep herding before the cast arrived in October. Filming wrapped on 17 December 1959.

Nicolas Roeg, who would later direct films such as "Walkabout", was a second unit camera operator.
The location filming makes this movie "authentic" and it's the lead (and supporting) performances which make the characters real - for me, it's a "Christmas" watch .....

"Heaven Knows, Mr. Allison" was filmed on the islands of Trinidad and Tobago but it could have been filmed anywhere, really. The plot may be corny but the leads' rapport makes the story believeable.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heaven_Knows,_Mr._Allison

The screenplay compares the rituals and commitment of the Roman Catholic Church and the United States Marine Corps. The National Legion of Decency monitored the production of the film closely, sending a representative to watch the filming; knowing this, Kerr and Mitchum deliberately ad-libbed a scene (not included in the final print), in which their characters wildly kissed and grabbed at each other.
Sister Angela .....

I may have seen Bryan Brown's "The Shiralee" but not Peter Finch's - I shall look out for it .....
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

24-01-2020, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sundowners_(1960_film)

The location filming makes this movie "authentic" and it's the lead (and supporting) performances which make the characters real - for me, it's a "Christmas" watch .....

"Heaven Knows, Mr. Allison" was filmed on the islands of Trinidad and Tobago but it could have been filmed anywhere, really. The plot may be corny but the leads' rapport makes the story believeable.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heaven_Knows,_Mr._Allison

Sister Angela .....

I may have seen Bryan Brown's "The Shiralee" but not Peter Finch's - I shall look out for it .....
Thank you for all that background information, Omah, it is great to know these things about films/film making.

Not sure if "The Shiralee" is still available as a single DVD - but it is included on one of the 'Ealing' collections at Amazon (where else). Apparently a 'shiralee' is a bundle of personal possessions carried by Australian itinerants.

Did you know that Tommy Steele sang the theme tune?
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2020, 04:50 PM

I fully agree, Bakerman. It stays with you forever.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2020, 05:11 PM

I watched it many years ago and sort of enjoyed it although I thought it over long, but it didn't leave me feeling like I wanted to watch it again...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top