Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2020, 09:18 PM

Re: Day Zero

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
Difficult times, indeed. Have courage, the rains will come. In the meantime, I expect that the water well drillers will be booked up a year in advance.

Those "end of the world" types said the same thing about California just a few years ago. The rains came and the snows fell, and now no more hysteria.
Unfortunately bakerman, if you dont get enough rain, the aquifers
dont recharge and you have to drill ever deeper untill its all gone!
Maybe the ozzies should get their original inhabitants to carry out
a rain dance for them?
At a price, of course!!
Donkeyman!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2020, 10:49 PM

Some things never change.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2020, 01:04 AM

I am not concerned about the end of the world that 5 billion years away.

The northern part of Australia has plenty of water in summer because of the monsoon (late this year). There have been many attempts to farm the north but the major attempts have been failures - think Ord River scheme - the main industries are still either mining or cattle with not much other agriculture - some include mangos, sugar, coffee, pineapples etc.

What does concern me is the change in climate because there is a definite pattern emerging toward drier times over the last 100 years.

Desal plants are energy intensive and there has been massive resistance to recycling grey water or sewage for domestic use. BTW both are used by industry but we need to overcome the 'yuck' factor. (I recall a joke Ben Elton once made about a cocktail in the UK not being complete without a turd floating in it when discussing this subject)

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-03-...-water/9546900
Ciderman
Masterton, New Zealand
Ciderman is male  Ciderman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2020, 07:56 AM

It's been a dry autumn and now summer here too. The local district council have just announced a total watering gardens ban. Up until recently it has been watering on alternate days only and a total sprinkler ban.
As regards the end of the world, I don't think that is likely but it could mean a very considerable reduction of the human species numbers.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2020, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Ciderman ->
It's been a dry autumn and now summer here too. The local district council have just announced a total watering gardens ban. Up until recently it has been watering on alternate days only and a total sprinkler ban.
As regards the end of the world, I don't think that is likely but it could mean a very considerable reduction of the human species numbers.
Yeah but if who's left can cobble together some rugby teams the All Blacks will still win.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top