Join for free
Page 7 of 9 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 >
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2019, 10:27 AM

Re: No Loo Rolls.

Yes, That is so very true but I think rationing in a state of emergency is a way of bring fairness all round in.
When you mentioned Spivs why did I suddenly think of Dads Army?
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2019, 10:36 AM

Where is Del Boy when you need him!
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2019, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Where is Del Boy when you need him!
Got a couple of chickens, if you need them. (nod nod wink wink)

They tried to Cross The Road!

Don't know why!
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2019, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by big ben ->
If the scaremongers are right and there will be a shortage of some commodities would it not be a good plan to do as we did during the war when there was an acute shortage of most things. issue ration coupons and ration books so that everyone gets the same share as everyone else. We all managed very well on ounces of this that and everything else rather than pounds.
During the war that rationing I know included food, strangely enough (or perhaps not) there were very few obese people around in those days!
Gaz55
UK
Gaz55 is male  Gaz55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2019, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Got a couple of chickens, if you need them. (nod nod wink wink)

They tried to Cross The Road!

Don't know why!
Are you sure it was chickens?

Why didn't the toilet roll cross the road? Because it got stuck in the crack.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2019, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
During the war that rationing I know included food, strangely enough (or perhaps not) there were very few obese people around in those days!
That's quite true Baz, people were fitter and there were fewer cases of heart disease and diabetes....So coming out of the EU might also be doing our bodies a favour.....
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2019, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
That's quite true Baz, people were fitter and there were fewer cases of heart disease and diabetes....So coming out of the EU might also be doing our bodies a favour.....

Probably the fact that there weren't many cars on the roads helped too, Foxy.
People walked, bussed or cycled a lot more then.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2019, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Probably the fact that there weren't many cars on the roads helped too, Foxy.
People walked, bussed or cycled a lot more then.
The lack of cars was aplus Mups, but we had coal fires and SMOG
as well, l remember the soot that came out of my nose?

Regards Donkeyman!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2019, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
The lack of cars was aplus Mups, but we had coal fires and SMOG
as well, l remember the soot that came out of my nose?

Regards Donkeyman!

Yes, that's what I meant donkeyman.
Foxy had said there wasn't the obesity and diabetes there is nowadays and I thought probably because people had to walk more and eat differently.

I vaguely remember smogs. Didn't some areas gradually become ' Smokeless Zones' then?
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2019, 09:30 AM

We cannot compare today's 'living' with yesterday's.
Very little obesity you say? Why? Because in those days there were no McDonalds, Kentucky Fried Chicken outlets, Fast food shops selling junk food. We had to walk to school (I had to walk one and three quarters of a mile to school. when we got home from school we didn,t got upstairs to our rooms and lie on the bed with a playstation. We had tasks to do before tea time like gathering sticks for Mother to light the fire with first thing in the morning. We had to clean and polish shoes ready for the next day, Then we had tea. After tea we were out playing till it was time to get ready for bed. Eight O'clock we had to be in for a bath or wash down then in bed by nine. (After we reached eleven years old an extra hour was added to our 'free' time)
Rainy weather did not stop us from walking to school. We had umbrellas or mackintoshes and wellies. If it was wet after school we either sat down playing board games or reading comics. Of course there was always Children's Hour on the wireless.
No, we cannot compare today's way of living with yesterday's. It's a different world. (I still prefer the old one)

Page 7 of 9 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top