Join for free
Page 271 of 370 « First < 171 221 261 269 270 271 272 273 281 321 > Last »
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2019, 03:44 AM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

Originally Posted by Tachyon ->
I don't feel I dare use the Sled Press, but that might just be nerves I suppose. I do use the Leg Curl and the Leg Extension, and can manage a couple of sets of around 20 to 25Kg on the Curl, but only around 15Kg on the Extension because that's my weakest muscle and the knees really feel the strain on that one. It gets a bit painful sometimes and I don't want to get pain like I had before.

I started out with 15Kg and 5Kg on the respective machines, so progress has been made, but I'm still frustrated that my arms can do more weight and reps than my legs. I'll plod on with leg work, but it's baby steps really.
Honestly mate, the sled is nothing to bge worried about. I'm taking it that the version in your gym is a similar plate-laden version to mine, not a free weights style machine like most "incline presses"?
Give it a go mate and remember - just go light to begin with, even a trial with no weight at all just to get the feel of it.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2019, 10:41 AM

Should've known better......I watched the local weather forecast last night and Mr Hudson (BBC Look North) said rain on the way at seven in the morning.....

So looking out of the window this morning......No Rain...
So off I goes for my tuesday five mile run in just shorts and a thin fleece top....I hadn't gone more than a mile when it started spotting, and by four miles it was heaving it down....

I arrived home with mud up to me thighs and my running kit is still on the radiators refusing to dry out...Decent run though....
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2019, 05:51 PM

Not a great workout today. I felt drained of energy because of a set of unavoidable timings out of my control. I'd had a bowl of porridge for breakfast but couldn't get to the gym until lunch time, so whatever was left of the 228 Calories by then got burnt out quite fast. I used 390 calories in the gym so I was running on fumes and maybe into a deficit. I will try to make sure that will never happen again but it was one of those damn days where everything DIDN'T go to plan.

Arm Extension (tricep): 80 x 30Kg
Stomach Crunch: 90 x 45Kg
Back Extension: 90 x 45Kg
Hip Abduction: 50 X 35Kg
Curl: 35 x 20Kg
Chest Press: 10 x 50Kg, 40 x 40Kg
Pull-down: 20 x 60Kg, 60 x 50Kg

I did some leg work too, but none of the leg machines recorded anything, even though the consoles said they had. The hip machine was working as normal though. I got the weights up for both the leg extension and the leg curl, so I was mildly pleased with that.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2019, 06:00 PM

Considering your timings Tachyon, you've put in another sterling workout there, honestly

With the pre-workout food, I'd eat very little mate. Just enough to give you a good energy burst like a crunch bar and a banana with a can of pop maybe. Too much stodgy food like porridge will make you feel bloated
Tachyon
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2019, 06:11 PM

The porridge is only a small serving, one of the Quaker Oat sachets you do in the microwave. I breakfast at 8am and normally get to the gym at around 10am, and it does me nicely, usually. I didn't get there until about 12:30pm today and was there for an hour and just had no "oomph" in me by then. I avoid sugary foods because of my diabetes. I think I'll stash some mixed nuts and raisins in my backpack in case it happens again.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2019, 08:41 PM

Not a great workout today. I felt drained of energy because of a set of unavoidable timings out of my control. I'd had a bowl of porridge for breakfast but couldn't get to the gym until lunch time, so whatever was left of the 228 Calories by then got burnt out quite fast. I used 390 calories in the gym so I was running on fumes and maybe into a deficit. I will try to make sure that will never happen again but it was one of those damn days where everything DIDN'T go to plan.
That's very interesting Tachyon, on an average five mile run I will burn around 550 calories, but my Sunday ten eats up over one thousand calories.
I have found that over the forty years I've been running that it's almost impossible, and uncomfortable at the very least, to try to run ten miles on a Sunday without some sort of loading on a Saturday.

Also, running on empty requires a much longer recovery time.
The results you experienced at the gym are exactly the same as I have experienced many times when neglecting to put fuel in, although I would load the day or evening before rather than on the morning of a run. If I load before a run it would have to be high sugar i.e. Jam, Honey or Coca Cola type drink, this would ensure an almost instant benefit. But I do realise that as a diabetic this method would be ill advised for you.

However, In my opinion porridge is perfect by providing a slow release of complex carbs, and Dave Brailsford (The British Road Cycling Team Coach) recommends that all his riders eat porridge for breakfast before an event and a British rider has won the Tour de France for the last four years.....Nuf Said!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

03-04-2019, 03:43 AM

Good points there, Bob Bet your missus enjoyed seeing you come home drenched and covered in mud yesterday by the way

Tachyon - I was thinking you were straight out training after a bowl of porridge but since it was two hours earlier, it's about the right time. It's a great 'slow release' form of energy. Even a decent big breakfast (grilled, not fried) can work wonders in the gym if there is enough of a gap between the meal and your exercising.

Personally, and on a usual working day when I get up in the afternoon for the gym, I will have a small biscuit bar and a banana as mentioned, plus a pint of squash. If I had more time I'd go to the gym later on and even have an interval for a quick coffee but I don't so a quick snack has to suffice.
Tachyon

03-04-2019, 09:23 AM

Good points guys. I need to load up a bit more, really. There have been sessions where I have burnt 500 calories but only eaten half that for breakfast and I can see that could be problematic! I shall have something more substantial as well as the porridge, maybe a crumpet with banana mashed on it with no butter and some orange juice. I'll try it tomorrow.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

03-04-2019, 04:59 PM

Good points guys. I need to load up a bit more, really. There have been sessions where I have burnt 500 calories but only eaten half that for breakfast and I can see that could be problematic! I shall have something more substantial as well as the porridge, maybe a crumpet with banana mashed on it with no butter and some orange juice. I'll try it tomorrow.
Good man Some days you may not feel like very much to eat at all but it's always safe to have some kind of snack (even a few jelly babies in the car on the way to the gym!) before a workout or alternatively a quick bar of chocolate half way through your session, otherwise you could get light-headed if you are hungry whilst training . Pending your diabetes issues though.
Good luck with this mate
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

03-04-2019, 05:04 PM

Wednesday 3 April 2019: Triceps, Legs. 1 hour.

Another brief but pretty effective workout today.
Noticing my chest has been lacking exercise lately I’m preparing myself for an all-out heavy session on that area and the back muscles too. To get ready for this I’ve done a short session just for the triceps, making them stronger to ease with the exercises next week. Nothing too strenuous but it all hit the spot nicely and it’s good to see that my triceps muscles are still defined into three separated areas.
Because it’s a little impractical to do simply an hour on the triceps, I added an interim blast for the legs as well, which I did first as these are the bigger muscle group of the two.

(All weights in kgs)

Legs

Incline press:
A: Outer, top & inner knee quads.
25x150 fast reps warm-up
17x200, 12x250
B: Hamstrings, glutes.
17x200, 10x250
5x300

Seated ham curl: Hamstrings, glutes, calves.
25x45, 12x60, 10x70
50x30

Sled press:
A: Outer quads, top quads, hamstrings.
20x200, 12x200
B: Glutes, hamstrings.
20x200, 12x200

Leg extensions:
A: Upper knee quads, top quads, outer quads, hip flexors.
12x80, 12x80, 12x80
B: As above but legs outstretched with a ‘bounce’ to tone the upper knee quads to failure point.
12x100kg

Triceps

Incline Smith press, close-grip:
10x30, 10x50, 10x50

E-Z bar triceps pull-over (lying, flat bench):
10x28, 10x28, 10x28

Triceps pulldown (front, against backrest):
12x30, 10x30, 8x30

Tricep extensions:
15x40, 15x50, 15x60

Next session planned for Saturday, unless I can fit something in quickly on Friday as I'll be out on the night time.

Thanks for reading.

Surfermom - You're quiet lately. Everything okay?

Page 271 of 370 « First < 171 221 261 269 270 271 272 273 281 321 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top