Join for free
Page 319 of 370 « First < 219 269 309 317 318 319 320 321 329 369 > Last »
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2019, 05:59 PM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

Oh dear Floydy, that sounded agonising - back pain AND hernia pain!! Are you any better now? I have been very lucky because I have never ever had any back trouble for some reason. Wishing you a swift recovery!

Managed to get to the gym after missing Tuesday out due to family commitments and yet again only had time for a short workout of 2 hours and 20 minutes instead of the 3 hours I prefer. A total of 72370kg lifted and 1219 calories burnt, with the session rated as 93/100.

I did a bit more arm and chest workout this time to give the legs a rest and the "up/down the stacks" is going better now. Going up the stack I managed to add a set of 55kg on the pec deck and the shoulder press, which is the best I have done so far.

I'll have to try and get some extra training done next week as I am being dragged away for a break, keeping my mother company for 8 nights in a cottage on the Northumberland coast. I like the walks and the scenery but it means no gym!! I'll be useless in the gym when I get back, sigh. Still, as long as my mother is happy, eh!!

Fingers crossed that your aches and pains have gone, Floydy. I'm sure you won't have to do anything as drastic as quitting!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2019, 01:49 AM

Good to hear that you are training hard and reaping the benefits, Tachyon. You do enjoy the 'up-down' stack machine workouts, which are very effective in reaching peak strength and then taking it back down once more. A harder exercise - when you are ready for it - is to start at the highest weight and work your way down. Now that is one difficult task!

I should look forward to your time away with your mum though mate. Treat it as a holiday in the real sense which is a time to relax and enjoy one another's company. You may return a little rusty whwn you recommence the gym work but uou'll soon recover your energy levels (probably even during that first returning session) and the rest won't harm you at all.
Enjoy your break mate

As for me, I am sitting here at 1.35am as I type this. And I'm at home.
I had to leave work early following my inability to carry out my tasks in an effective manner. My backache hasn't subsided much but the worst thing is the hernia is now excrutiatingly painful. It keeps 'popping out', which in turn closes blood vessels around it and so limits my blood supply.
My right leg goes weak, my testes ache and my pee flow is very slow.

I managed to get an emergency appointment yesterday with a doctor who has now referred me for an operation to sort out the hernia. He isn't concerened with the pulled muscle in my back. That will ease when the hernia is operated on. When that will be is anybody's guess.

All this pain and suffering because I simply can't ease off with the heavy weights. It's my fault and I had it coming a long time. Serves me right!

Meanwhile I'm comfiest sitting down or driving. I did mention the gym to the doc and was told that I'd be okay 'doing a bit' just to keep the body active but to stay away from any 'pulling' exercises.
I may do some very light sled pressing to strengthen the lower back and maybe some light tricep work, which should be okay. We will see what happens this weekend on the pain front.

Meanwhile, I'll be totally resructuring my exercise programme to involve ONLY light weights work from now on and recommence the cardio after so long away.

Bob, Suzie - I may even end up joining you both on a permanent running routine. I always knew that my 55 birthday would be a turning point for so many changes. Work, finances...now my training too.
God, I feel old
Tachyon
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2019, 12:53 PM

I hope you recover soon, Floydy, and don't be downhearted. I know how it can be when something stops you doing what you enjoy and it can be really disheartening. As you say, change the routine and using lighter weights with more reps is the way to go - and that was your advice to me which has really worked brilliantly!

I got to the gym yesterday and had a lovely 3 hours in there and set a new personal best for calories burnt - only just - of 1520, which if memory serves was about 19 calories more that my previous best. I'll take that as a win though! The workout was scored as 98/100 and the total kilos lifted was 97,960... oh if I'd only done a few more reps on things and got over the 100,000 barrier. Still, another time as they say.

Pulldown: 65x60kg
Leg Sled: 335x120kg
Pec Deck: 20x30kg, 10x35kg, 20x40kg, 50x45kg, 75x50kg, 5x55kg
Back Extension: 60x67.5kg
Stomach Crunch: 90x55kg
Chest Press: 21x30kg, 20x35kg, 10x40kg, 61x50kg
Leg Curl: 80x40kg
Leg Extension:55x35kg
Leg Abduction:180x40kg
Hip Adduction: 180x40kg
Shoulder Press: 2x20kg
Alternate Curls: 180x14kg, 140x23.5kg
Low Row: 40x50kg

I'm sure that the gym data system didn't record another 40x50kg on the Low Row, but that might well be me at fault. I sometimes get straight on with the reps as soon as I sit in the machines without inserting the data key, often only realising when I have finished my reps. Serves me right for not paying attention, eh?

Take care all and enjoy your training, whatever form it takes.

Pulldown: 65x60kg
Leg Sled: 335x120kg
Pec Deck: 20x30kg, 10x35kg, 20x40kg, 50x45kg, 75x50kg, 5x55kg
Back Extension: 60x67.5kg
Stomach Crunch: 90x55kg
Chest Press: 21x30kg, 20x35kg, 10x40kg, 61x50kg
Leg Curl: 80x40kg
Leg Extension:55x35kg
Leg Abduction:180x40kg
Hip Adduction: 180x40kg
Shoulder Press: 2x20kg
Alternate Curls: 180x14kg, 140x23.5kg
Low Row: 40x50kg
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2019, 01:49 PM

Tachyon, this is fantastic work! You really put me to shame with your everlong, everlasting workouts buddy. You have taken on board a great routine, you are used to the apparatus and are using it to your full advantage. It's working a treat for you so don't fix what ain't broke.

It's always nice to hear that I have been of use with any advice I have given in the past and to helped with somebody's fitness levels thus bringing their health back to a great standard is very pleasing. I see this as role reversal now as I'll be recovering from a set of 'injuries' which has finally taught me a lesson or two - to take a reality check and slow down, ease off and get a grip. Bob, you've mentioned that time and time again to me also and I'm finally taking heed...I will listen to advice from you two (and Suzie too) and change my routines completely.

I envisage doing more of the high rep stuff with lighter weights, discarding much of the 'pull' exercises, especially from the floor and many of the free weight stuff too. There will be a whole lot of new cardio thrown in too, plus new stretching exercises to perform during my workouts. I will devise all of that this week as I don't now intend to return to the gym until I know my hernia problem has subsided enough to continue.

And what am I worried about exactly?
Losing all my muscles? Becoming weak and feeble?
It is difficult after a life of bodybuilding and heavy weight training to come to terms with easing off but none of the above will happen. Not yet anyway, I'm still in pretty good shape.
I am 17 stone with very little fat but I'm not really built for running but I can do some cardio work again. And I do have maybe half a stone around the middle which could be tightened up and my diet needs a quick overhaul, so I'll be devising ways of becoming fitter but also keeping the muscle tone maintained, though without the frankly silly mindset of wanting to still get bigger. That is a surefire way to cause even more injury and it's nonsense anyway at my age. At almost 55, who gives a toss? I'm not about to go strutting around the beach at my time of life posing, that would be ridiculous! Not that I ever did anyway - it's all in the mind. Delusion and 'fitness narcissism' does have a habit of raising it's ugly head doesn't it?

So I'll be getting on with the new plans on a template. Meanwhile I'll be back at work tonight and gingerly lifting boxes and seeing where my hernia actually kicks in. Hopefully I can keep it at a minimal pain level until I receive word of my operation.

Cheers all
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2019, 02:50 PM

Good morning!

So much to catch up on here. I am most concerned about you, Floydy. How terrible, for you. Is there any way you could get a massage to relieve some of the peripheral muscle tension? The problem with being athletic is that there is that while doctors might be able to help with the physical injury, we have to step up and be our own doctors when it comes to healing the loss of fitness. You will be able to come back, Floydy. OGF and Tachyon have proven this more than once!

OGF, I saved your chart so I can look at it later. My perspective of this isn't what you have lost, but how incredibly well you are performing, given your two heart events and your age. There is no question that you are an inspiration for a lot of people. You look great, are still out there enjoying your days, and doing activities on the side that many people your age only wish they could manage. It's what you are doing - not what you aren't - that matters most!

As usual, stepping of the plane from Italy, I had to push the accelerator down to get to Kansas where my mom had plenty to do (besides just spending precious time with her) with and then racing back here to get hurricane preparations done, though it looks like we might be spared.

Somewhere, somewhere...in there managed a run or two, but like you Tachyon, I wasn't able to get as much done as I would have liked when visiting my mom.

Now I am back home but will be immersed in driving my daughter back and forth to college, teaching her to drive, and then getting caught up in all things hearth and home. In all that, I have decided that getting back into a dedicated fitness program has to be job one so I can be in mental and physical shape to get everything done.

I suppose that summer is officially over for me!

Now where did I leave my umbrella?
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

01-09-2019, 06:22 PM

Great to hear from you Suzie and that your mum is okay Nice also that your daughter is learning to drive...maybe in time she will be well enough to drive herself to the hospital for her check-ups?

I'm still feeling strange in myself. The hernia is affecting both sides now and I have a pain deep in my lower abdomen. I'm going for some blood tests tomorrow so I'll try to see a doctor again too for another examination. I'm still debilitating whether or not to go to work tonight. I feel okay sitting down but when I walk for a bit the weird pains come back. It's a bit concerning tbh.

I hope the hurricane doesn't cause too much damage this time and that you can eventually find some time to get sorted out with a nice, daily fitness routine once more. Take care now
Tachyon

05-09-2019, 08:11 AM

Hectic week meant I haven't got to the gym so far this week and on Friday I am away for a week, so that will be 2 weeks with no training! I'll have to settle for walking as much as possible along the coast until I get back. Last time I was away there was very limited phone reception and no Internet, so the same might happen again. I hope I can scrape up a signal and check in to the forum but if not I'll be back in a week. Take care all of you!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

06-09-2019, 01:08 PM

Enjoy your break, Tachyon, you'll still be in fine fettle when you get back. Trust me, the first day you return to the gym you may be a little rusty but after that it all falls back into place mate

Myself, I'm thinking about cancelling my gym membership.
With me waiting for the hernia operation and then the recovery time, it could be months before I can get back to anything approaching general fitness again. No point in paying a subscription every month if I'm not using it.

A little nearer is a 'budget gym' which is only £9.99 per month and by the time I get back I'm not going to do any heavy weights work anymore anyway, so that gym would suffice for cardio and high reps work, which will be my next programme.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2019, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Enjoy your break, Tachyon, you'll still be in fine fettle when you get back. Trust me, the first day you return to the gym you may be a little rusty but after that it all falls back into place mate

Myself, I'm thinking about cancelling my gym membership.
With me waiting for the hernia operation and then the recovery time, it could be months before I can get back to anything approaching general fitness again. No point in paying a subscription every month if I'm not using it.

A little nearer is a 'budget gym' which is only £9.99 per month and by the time I get back I'm not going to do any heavy weights work anymore anyway, so that gym would suffice for cardio and high reps work, which will be my next programme.
I've just cancelled my gym membership as I haven;t been using it lately due to being unwell and it's £40 per month down the drain. I'm joining our local council gym, its only £20 per month so will be worth it as I intend to go back swimming, without membership swimming sessions cost £6 so if I only go once a week it's worth it.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

06-09-2019, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
I've just cancelled my gym membership as I haven;t been using it lately due to being unwell and it's £40 per month down the drain. I'm joining our local council gym, its only £20 per month so will be worth it as I intend to go back swimming, without membership swimming sessions cost £6 so if I only go once a week it's worth it.
You know, Lion Queen, that's an even better idea. Join the council leisure centre!
There are six different pools and gyms run by Hull's Council and you get a 'Tonic' card, for about £20 as you said.
I'm thinking of when I'm back on days and I have more time. My gym doesn't have a pool, so the council places (of which there is one five minutes' walk away) would be fantastic for a swim after a quick workout after work.
Thanks for this idea!

Page 319 of 370 « First < 219 269 309 317 318 319 320 321 329 369 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top