Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2019, 11:29 AM

Can google cause memory loss??

Is it possible for humans to lose the use of their memories
through over use of google?
Could it be that the USE IT OR LOSE IT factor in evolution
will, over time, cause humans to lose most of their brain
power, and be left with only the instinctive reactions
neccassary for existence ie, crocodiles etc???
What do you think?
Use brains to answer please!!

Regards Donkeyman!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2019, 11:53 AM

Re: Can google cause memory loss??

Well donkeyman, there aren't many crocodiles waiting to grab me around Northamptonshire, but I imagine if there were and I wasn't quick enough, it would be more because of my age, not because I use Google.

Some of our generation have always lost their memories, but again, that is usually because of Dementia or 'natural old age forgetfullness'. People like my Mum and Nan got forgetful, but they had never even heard of Google.

Maybe if anything, things we can look up, delve into and learn about stimulate our brains rather than numb them .

As for physical slowing down to avoid Crocs - or a passing car etc - again, that is more likely to be because of being preoccupied and lost in thought, or not able to jump out the way in time, but nowt to do with Google im ny opinion.

There you are m'dear, that is me using my brain to answer you.
Erm . . have I forgotten anything?

Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2019, 12:05 PM

That's an interesting question, we often find ourselves mid TV show picking up our phones to look at where we know that actor from before. I can't remember being so forgetful prior to google it would just take a few minutes and facts would be at my fingertips.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2019, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Well donkeyman, there aren't many crocodiles waiting to grab me around Northamptonshire, but I imagine if there were and I wasn't quick enough, it would be more because of my age, not because I use Google.

Some of our generation have always lost their memories, but again, that is usually because of Dementia or 'natural old age forgetfullness'. People like my Mum and Nan got forgetful, but they had never even heard of Google.

Maybe if anything, things we can look up, delve into and learn about stimulate our brains rather than numb them .

As for physical slowing down to avoid Crocs - or a passing car etc - again, that is more likely to be because of being preoccupied and lost in thought, or not able to jump out the way in time, but nowt to do with Google im ny opinion.

There you are m'dear, that is me using my brain to answer you.
Erm . . have I forgotten anything?

Mups, l think you mistook my question?
Maybe l was unclear, my question was really about the whole
human race loosing their brain capacity due to non usage
due to use of google, not about us old geysers getting
altzhiemers.
My crocodile reference was only an illustration of what humans
could devolve to through over usage of google over long
periods of time
I hope my explanation has helped you to understand my
question better?
By the way, l found our misunderstanding to be very
amusing??

Regards Donkeyman!
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom

22-08-2019, 12:47 PM

Sorry Mups, l fogot to say that you had not forgotten
anything in your post!
Perhaps l should have used google???

Regards Donkeyman!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2019, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Sorry Mups, l fogot to say that you had not forgotten
anything in your post!

Perhaps l should have used google???

Regards Donkeyman!

Hah. See, now you've got it, too.
It's our age.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom

22-08-2019, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
That's an interesting question, we often find ourselves mid TV show picking up our phones to look at where we know that actor from before. I can't remember being so forgetful prior to google it would just take a few minutes and facts would be at my fingertips.
Exactly my point Julie! But that is only the effect on an
individual, what about the effect on humans as a species
over coming generations long term??
Even in primitive remote areas of the planet, people have
smart phones, and are able to use them!
Sure this could cause our brains to shrink eventually as
nature does not allow waste of energy on things that have no
relevance to survival??
Not So?
Regards Donkeyman!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2019, 03:07 PM

I think you do have a point Donks. If I'm typing and can't remember how to spell a word, I Google it rather than work it out. The same goes for Sat Navs. After moving to a new county, I have repeatedly used the car sat nav to get around but I'm none the wiser as to where places are.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2019, 05:13 PM

I don't think Google causes memory loss because mostly, we are looking for information that we didn't have in the first place. Google (other search engines are available) is no more than a quick way of finding that information . Before Internet searches, we'd have to resort to books (for instance) and that took a whole lot longer. I don't think we're generally going to forget information just because we gained it quickly and easily via the Internet rather than from a book.

Names or other information that we have known but can't bring easily to mind can be searched for in order to jog the memory at the right time ..when in conversation on a particular topic for example. This saves the information being 'on the tip of the tongue' and not quite remembered. It's not that it wouldn't be remembered given time but this usually happens in a 'Ureka!' moment at three o'clock in the morning when remembering it has become quite irrelevant. That's just life, especially as we get older. Nothing to do with the Internet era in my opinion.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom

22-08-2019, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I think you do have a point Donks. If I'm typing and can't remember how to spell a word, I Google it rather than work it out. The same goes for Sat Navs. After moving to a new county, I have repeatedly used the car sat nav to get around but I'm none the wiser as to where places are.
I have never used sat nav LD! I am still using maps.
And l never get lost on long distance trips.
Sat nav works great in towns or cities imo allthough l have
only observed others using it!
But my question was really about the future of the whole
homo sapiens specie evolution wise if we stop using our
grey matter long term?

Regards Donkeyman!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top