Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Gravitas
North England
Gravitas is male  Gravitas has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2019, 12:34 PM

Re: Melting pot banned

Originally Posted by EZ Rider ->
Unbelievable! One of my favourite singles back in the day.
Really? Oh dear!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2019, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
One place refusing to play it is hardly a ban but as someone said it's one word that is the problem and I think on balance it's right not to play it unless they can remove that word.
It's one of a long line of records not being played on various radio shows as Cliff Richard would tell you, BBC banned his music years ago.
I have no idea what that word is, I have never really studied the lyrics tbh but I have never considered the song to be racist. You can't go around changing words in established recordings to suit certain people.. That would be like removing white actors from existing TV ads and replacing them with black people...... Oh hold on, they are already doing that, anyone noticed?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2019, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I have no idea what that word is, I have never really studied the lyrics tbh but I have never considered the song to be racist. You can't go around changing words in established recordings to suit certain people.. That would be like removing white actors from existing TV ads and replacing them with black people...... Oh hold on, they are already doing that, anyone noticed?
It's the word chinkees LD even back in the day that was a bit questionable but people said it I guess. It wasn't a word my family used but perhaps more because we didn't know any chinese people, the word eyties was definitely used because we had italian friends but it was never used in a nasty way it was more a friendly greeting.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2019, 01:01 PM

Might be wrong on this.

Ofcom has banned this song from being played by the Media.

Lucky us we can watch on You Tube.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2019, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
It's the word chinkees LD even back in the day that was a bit questionable but people said it I guess. It wasn't a word my family used but perhaps more because we didn't know any chinese people, the word eyties was definitely used because we had italian friends but it was never used in a nasty way it was more a friendly greeting.
Thanks. I doubt any one uses the word 'Chinkees' these days apart from now because they have suddenly brought it to our attention.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2019, 01:04 PM

Many years ago, when I was a dancer, I shared a dressing room with Madeleine Bell & had a chat with her about this song.
We both agreed that the colour of your skin has no effect on the person you are, it is those who can't overlook the different colours that cause the problem. She was a lovely lady who even gave me some cream to sooth a sore patch on my arm.

Songs like this were the early steps to different races accepting each other.... so I would love to meet the people who have declared that is is racist!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2019, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Thanks. I doubt any one uses the word 'Chinkees' these days apart from now because they have suddenly brought it to our attention.
I think you are right which is really good when you think of it, sadly some other words are still in play that would really be good to get rid of.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2019, 01:52 PM

Back in the 60s the BBC were "banning" stuff right left & centre, hence the rise in popularity of pirate radio. I think some acts got themselves banned on purpose.

Ironically, they didn't ban Melting Pot at the time, I guess the chinkee word wasn't considered offensive at the time. I remember it being used to describe chinese food/restaurant/take-away.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2019, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by galty ->
Might be wrong on this.

Ofcom has banned this song from being played by the Media.

Lucky us we can watch on You Tube.
I bet the Youtube content has gone viral.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK

30-08-2019, 02:03 PM

This story's got history:

However in 2015, BBC Three Counties DJ Iain Lee apologized for playing the song, which includes the lyric "yellow Chinkees"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melting_Pot_(song)

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top