Join for free
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 11 > Last »
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2019, 08:58 AM

Hernia

A few years ago I developed an inguinal hernia which is a protruding lump from the right side of my groin area. It's a painful complaint which is aggravated by heavy lifting.

This was brought on predominantly by serious coughing which I later put down to working in dusty conditions in my job.
The hernia later subsided following a holiday and hasn't bothered me for 3-4 years apart from the odd 'twinge' occasionally.

Following a pulled muscle in my lower back at the gym last Sunday, the hernia came back and whilst I have been at work all week I have been in some pain and have had to be careful. It came to a head last night when I could no longer take it and left after an hour into my shift. I don't know if the pulled muscle and hernia are connected.

I am fine when sitting down as there is no pain and I'm mostly okay when walking around but any kind of moderate lifting or bending and the hernia 'pops out' again.

I managed to get an emergency appointment with my GP yesterday (Thursday) afternoon and I have been referred to get surgery done, whenever that may be.

Work will be a problem as they take a dim view of anybody being off sick whatever the reason so I'm not sure how I'm going to deal with that yet.

Meanwhile, I'm taking things easy and there will be no gym work, if ever again for that matter. I have of course had a life of working out and bodybuilding to keep myself fit and this issue has probably been exacerbated by my tendency to 'overdo things' there. This has taught me a lesson to stop behaving like somebody half my age and wise up to looking after my body. Whatever the issue, I need to get this problem sorted.

Has anyone else suffered with a hernia at all?
Here is a link to my particular problem:

https://www.healthline.com/health/in...-hernia-repair
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2019, 09:07 AM

Re: Hernia

Has your doctor seen it, Floydy?

If not, I would suggest you go, incase it needs surgery.
If you ignore it, and it gets worse, you could be in a spot of bother.

I know with puppies they are sometimes born with them and can correct themselves, but you weren't born with yours, it has come through trauma, which is quite different.

I am no doctor, but I think you should get it checked out properly.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2019, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Has your doctor seen it, Floydy?

If not, I would suggest you go, incase it needs surgery.
If you ignore it, and it gets worse, you could be in a spot of bother.

I know with puppies they are sometimes born with them and can correct themselves, but you weren't born with yours, it has come through trauma, which is quite different.

I am no doctor, but I think you should get it checked out properly.
I did mention in my post that I saw the doctor yesterday, Mups. Hopefully it won't take too long for the referral to come through
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2019, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
I did mention in my post that I saw the doctor yesterday, Mups. Hopefully it won't take too long for the referral to come through

I'm so sorry Floydy, of course you did.
Put it down to me age.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

30-08-2019, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I'm so sorry Floydy, of course you did.
Put it down to me age.
It's fine, Mups. I don't listen to anybody on here either
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2019, 09:42 AM

Come on Floydy who are you trying to kid, working out at the gym has never been about keeping fit it's about body image and ego, you just have to read your extreme gym exercise routine to know that... but hey, to each his own I guess....

However, sorry to hear of your physical problems brought on by it and I hope they manage to sort you out before it interferes with your life too much..
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

30-08-2019, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
Come on Floydy who are you trying to kid, working out at the gym has never been about keeping fit it's about body image and ego, you just have to read your extreme gym exercise routine to know that... but hey, to each his own I guess....

However, sorry to hear of your physical problems brought on by it and I hope they manage to sort you out before it interferes with your life too much..
Looks like I've paid the price in the end, Barry. It was enjoyable while it lasted. There's nothing wrong with being fit and healthy though.

Yes, here's hoping
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2019, 09:57 AM

One of the chaps at my sons gym has this problem floydy he had surgery last year and was encouraged to build muscle and keep fit to support the area so you may find it's not the end of your gym life unless you are committed to weights which they do suggest you don't use. I know he found the time he was not allowed to go to the gym very difficult, the endorphins from doing the exercise just weren't replicated anywhere else. So take care try not to get too depressed about it all.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2019, 10:36 AM

Hey Floydy

Probably not too relevant now but I had a hernia in 1977 when I was 25. It started on the right side and then became bi-lateral. I was in the shower and noticed that characteristic bulge and it freaked me out. There had been no pain. I went straight to my doctor and she had me in hospital stat. I was pretty fit and the muscle wall was easy to repair. I think I must have done it moving house. The second part of the story (My few days in hospital) is bloody hilarious but it's probably off topic. I'll save that for another time. )
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2019, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
Hey Floydy

Probably not too relevant now but I had a hernia in 1977 when I was 25. It started on the right side and then became bi-lateral. I was in the shower and noticed that characteristic bulge and it freaked me out. There had been no pain. I went straight to my doctor and she had me in hospital stat. I was pretty fit and the muscle wall was easy to repair. I think I must have done it moving house. The second part of the story (My few days in hospital) is bloody hilarious but it's probably off topic. I'll save that for another time. )
Yes best not make him laugh while it's painful Keezoy

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top