Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2019, 09:37 AM

Fireworks - love them or loathe them?

I loathe them - always have. My father would take my sister and brother out into the yard to watch Golden Rain, Roman Candles, Sparklers, Vesuvius, Rockets, Jumping Jacks etc., and they loved it. I would be the one hiding under the kitchen table!

They are noisy, smelly, pointless and dangerous in the wrong hands. Definitely should not be sold before bonfire night as it is so unfair to pets - we never know when to keep them in.

Apart from anything else - they are so costly now. £25 for a rocket that last less then 2 mins? Like setting fire to your wallet.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2019, 10:09 AM

Re: Fireworks - love them or loathe them?

I am of the opinion fireworks should not be sold to the general public, they should be saved for public firework displays.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2019, 10:29 AM

I like fireworks - but they terrify pets.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2019, 10:31 AM

I do like to watch an organised firework display and agree with Tara that they shouldn't be on sale to the general public.

I hated jumping crackers when I was a kid, they used to chase me!

I did like sparklers and still do, they are quite pretty.

The bangers these days are like bombs going off, just no need.
pathfinder
scotland
pathfinder is male  pathfinder has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2019, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
I am of the opinion fireworks should not be sold to the general public, they should be saved for public firework displays.
I agree public displays only and only by people who know what they are doing and well away from our pets
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2019, 11:12 AM

Love 'em. This bigger and louder the better! I miss things like Chinese Crackers (flip-flops) and hand held Roman Candles. Anyone remember Bengal Matches?
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2019, 11:18 AM

Loathe them as they are forced onto most of us whether we want them or not, as as for the halfwits that decide to set them off late at night after getting home from the pub I have no words....
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2019, 11:23 AM

Same here, they should not sell to the general public. It goes on for weeks with fireworks all over the town & not just one or two nights but random. Most animals & particularly the wild life must be terrified.

My Brother had to send his horses away at vast expense to a livery stables miles from the town around November 5th, they used to go mad at home & before he did that one got injured even though the horse was in it's stable with the doors closed.

The organised firework displays they do in Plymouth over two nights for the firework competition are beautiful & they get judged. They have 6 of the best firms competing & the best of the best wins. Hundreds of people turn up on the Hoe to watch & they show the displays live on FB. That is the way it should be done.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050994(1).jpg
Views:	42
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	10700   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1060032(1).jpg
Views:	40
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	10701  
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2019, 12:10 PM

Yes, for once we are singing from the same song sheet.
My poor dog is terrified of them, it got so bad the last few years that he won't go out in the garden by himself if it's dark..
Some countries now have beautiful but silent ones, I think that's the way it should be all over the world..

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled.png
Views:	50
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	10702  
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2019, 12:14 PM

We used to have large firework displays in the 50s and 60s put on by my father in one of our fields, with 100 or more people attending. Some kid put a jumping jack in my anorak hood, I was lucky not to have been hurt.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top