Join for free
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2019, 05:29 PM

Re: Animal Extinction and Climate Change

Originally Posted by John ->
Strangely enough, I've never heard one politician, saying that very sensible, and appropriate comment!
Yes John, they think more people equal more voters imo?

Donkeyman!
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2019, 05:52 PM

If we don't control the population, nature will. The global system loves balance, and even if it means wiping out the human population, nature will achieve stasis. If we want to survive, then we have to work with the system because for all of our self-importance, nature could care less. We are a new, extremely resource-dependent species, and nature tends to be intolerant of the inelegant.

From my perspective of reading and work, the science is very clear that the planet is warming. While this could absolutely be the result of a natural cyclical change, there is just too much data out there to deny that we are pressing down the accelerator. Are there natural cooling reactions to this warming? Absolutely, but from what we can see, not enough.

Most definitely there are also efforts to curb the impact of too much carbon dioxide, nitrogen, methane (good points about all eating releases methane and CO2 but there are "buts") and even water vapor in the air. There are some very bright entrepreneurs and scientists who are going to make a bucket load with technology to capture these gases.

Can we make an impact on sustaining the balance, and really ourselves? Yes, we already are, and we can expect more in the form of cheaper innovations and governmental regulation when we don't want to comply. The reality is that we don't comply unless it means money in our pockets and not to much inconvenience.

Yes, there will always be steaks. Most likely they will be lab grown, but farm raised meat, individual cars, and heat, for that matter, will be for the wealthy. The world is going to look different: fewer trees, no free-roaming large mammals, higher land densities, indoor industrial farming, more mass transportation, less decoration and more functionality, less frivolity and more survival, less natural and more synthetic, but people will get by - while we breed ourselves into extinction.

Y'all go easy on us vegetarians.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2019, 11:03 PM

The picture you paint of the future Surfamum is very bleak, and
tallies almost identically with mine!
Where we differ is only on what is causing the warming and what
we can do about it?
It is possible that we have actually triggered the warmiing cycle by
our activities and thus all we have to do is stop doing whatever we
we are doing and then things will revert to (normal) again, but l
think it is more likely that the planet is going through a long term
warming period for reasons it is not possible to understand yet and
which unfortunately coincide with us creating unprecedented
amounts of emissions which are magnifying and speeding up the
natural process?
If this turns out to be true it is bad news for all life on this planet, as
we will only be here for the ride?
I dont think being carnivorous will have much if any effect on the
eventual outcome? And dont forget that the animals are an integral
part of the eco-system and actually provide the fertilizer and alter
the structure of the soil over great lengths of time and so assisting
the growth of more abundant vegetation for the herbivores ( read
vegetarians) to live on, and so it goes on, ( we hope)
Give the carnivores a break we are part of the system, we just
Insist on breeding too much!
Have a nice day in Trumpland!
Donkeyman!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2019, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by John ->
Strangely enough, I've never heard one politician, saying that very sensible, and appropriate comment!
No one will say it John. No one will admit that it is the main cause of all the problems here in the UK let alone the planet.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2019, 11:54 PM

Hi, Donkeyman, We are in agreement that the warming and heating cycles of the Earth are cyclical, and that we appear to be entering a natural heating cycle.

I do think man can make it worse...but what we aren't talking about is... that we could make it better. The effects just haven't affected our finances or quality of life enough yet to do anything too drastic.

I don't think anyone will ever be forced to give up meat; it will just become too expensive to eat very much, if any, of it.

Oh, and there's no judgement from me; we vegetarians (unfortunately) are out here overbreeding with the rest of them.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2019, 12:52 AM

I'll take my chances. The way I survive on this planet is to eat a balanced diet.
I eat meat, fish, chicken, vegetables, fruit and cereal. If we all start fretting about that kind of thing we're all gonna die of anxiety, depression or starvation.
Look after the planet by not throwing litter around, not chopping down too many trees and look after the animals.
The rest is in whatever we call "God's" hands. Wearing flip flops made of straw and living on lentil chips will not make an apeth of different to the climate.
It will happen like the ice age happened yonks ago and it's way beyond our control.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2019, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
I'll take my chances. The way I survive on this planet is to eat a balanced diet.
I eat meat, fish, chicken, vegetables, fruit and cereal. If we all start fretting about that kind of thing we're all gonna die of anxiety, depression or starvation.
Look after the planet by not throwing litter around, not chopping down too many trees and look after the animals.
The rest is in whatever we call "God's" hands. Wearing flip flops made of straw and living on lentil chips will not make an apeth of different to the climate.
It will happen like the ice age happened yonks ago and it's way beyond our control.
Good post Floydy... .....and a way of life that I subscribe to.....
We could also start to repair things like we used to instead of throwing stuff away and wasting vital resources.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2019, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Good post Floydy... .....and a way of life that I subscribe to.....
We could also start to repair things like we used to instead of throwing stuff away and wasting vital resources.
That's right, Bob

I did miss out one other thing which helps the planet. Drinking real ale. It's made of natural ingredients such as dead blackbirds and wood shavings but that's more tasty than all the chemicals that go into Carling Black Label!
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2019, 11:26 AM

I do think we all eat to much !
Maybe not certain African countries for example, and there are starving populations all over the world, which in 21st century is a disgrace.

Producing less meat will not make much difference IMO, but what will be problematic in the future, is disease.

The black death, plague , wiped out populations in previous centuries , and they spread like wildfire. Now we have international travel there is little chance that a rampant disease could be contained or even halted before mass death.

Black death killed 50 million throughout Europe in 14th century , which was 60% of the total population !
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2019, 12:38 PM

There is a danger that global warming will release old lethal viruses frozen in ice for centuries.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top