Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2019, 10:09 PM

O Dear

Mind you have heard it all before.

https://www.essexlive.news/news/esse...J30pc_9xZgV97Y
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2019, 10:40 PM

Re: O Dear

The coldest one started in October 2010, and lasted till January, if I remember right, it is October now, and it ain't started yet.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2019, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
The coldest one started in October 2010, and lasted till January, if I remember right, it is October now, and it ain't started yet.
2010 wasn't too bad:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter...eland#Timeline

The winter of 2010–11 was a weather event that brought heavy snowfalls, record low temperatures, travel chaos and school disruption to the islands of Great Britain and Ireland. It included the United Kingdom's coldest December since Met Office records began in 1910, with a mean temperature of -1 °C, breaking the previous record of 0.1 °C in December 1981. Also it was the second-coldest December in the narrower Central England Temperature (CET) record series which began in 1659, falling 0.1 °C short of the all-time record set in 1890.

The winter of 2010 in England saw the earliest widespread winter snowfall since 1993 with snow falling as early as 24 November across Northumberland and North Yorkshire. A maximum snow depth of 30 inches (76 cm) was recorded on 1 December in the Peak District, Sheffield, Doncaster, the Cotswold Hills and the Forest of Dean. In this event Scotland and Northern England were most severely affected. On 9 December temperatures recovered across much of the UK, causing a partial thaw.

Later, on Thursday 16 December a cold front reintroduced a cold, arctic airstream. This cold spell brought further snow and ice chaos back to Ireland and Britain with Southern England, Wales, the Republic of Ireland (excluding the westerly coastal regions) and Northern Ireland bearing the brunt of the wintry conditions. This led to severe disruption to the road and rail network with several airports being closed including London Heathrow Airport for a time. Several local temperature records were broken including a new record low for Northern Ireland of -18.7 °C recorded at Castlederg on 23 December 2010.

By the New Year a thaw had begun, and there was no recurrence of the extreme conditions for the remainder of the winter. There was some snowfall in early January, and there was an anticyclonic spell at the end of the month that brought some cold, frosty days. February was above average in temperature and ended on a mild note, although the snow returned in much of Scotland during March.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2019, 12:49 AM

1963 was dreadful - and there was no double-glazing, no central heating, no thermal underwear and only woollen outerwear:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter...United_Kingdom

The winter of 1962–63, known as the Big Freeze of 1963, was one of the coldest winters (defined as the months of December, January and February) on record in the United Kingdom. Temperatures plummeted and lakes and rivers began to freeze over.

In the Central England Temperature (CET) record extending back to 1659, only the winters of 1683–84 and 1739–40 were colder than 1962–63.

The winter of 1962–63 remains the coldest since at least 1895 in all meteorological districts of the United Kingdom except Scotland North, where the two winters of 1978–79 and 2009–10 were colder.

December 1962

A wintry outbreak brought snow to the country on 12–13 December. A cold easterly set in on 22 December as an anticyclone formed over Scandinavia, drawing cold continental winds from Russia. Throughout the Christmas period, the Scandinavian high collapsed, but a new one formed near Iceland, bringing northerly winds. Significant snowfall occurred as the air mass moved south, and parts of Southern England had heavy snow late on 26–27 December. The cold air became firmly established.

29 and 30 December 1962
On 29 and 30 December 1962 a blizzard swept across South West England and Wales. Snow drifted to more than 20 feet deep in places, driven by gale force easterly winds, blocking roads and railways. The snow stranded villagers and brought down power lines. The near-freezing temperatures meant that the snow cover lasted for more than two months in some areas. Snow was 6 inches deep in Manchester city centre, 9 inches in Wythenshawe, and about 18 inches at Keele University in Staffordshire. By the end of the month, there were snow drifts 8 feet deep in Kent and 15 feet deep in the west.

January 1963

With an average temperature of −2.1 °C (28.2 °F), January 1963 remains the coldest month since January 1814 in Central England, although in Northern England, Scotland and Northern Ireland February 1947 was colder, and December 2010 was colder in Northern Ireland. Much of England and Wales was covered in snow throughout the month. The country experienced temperatures as low as −19.4 °C (−2.9 °F) at Achany in Sutherland on the 11th. Freezing fog was a hazard for most of the country.

In January 1963, the sea froze for a mile from shore at Herne Bay, Kent. The sea froze inshore in many places, removing many British inland waterbirds’ usual last resort of finding food in estuaries and shallow sea. The sea froze 4 miles out to sea from Dunkirk. The upper reaches of the River Thames froze over, although it did not freeze in Central London, partly due to the hot effluent from two thermal power stations, Battersea and Bankside. The removal of the multi-arched London Bridge, which had obstructed the river's free flow, and the addition of the river embankments kept the river from freezing in London as it had in earlier times.

On 20 January, 283 workers had to be rescued by RAF helicopters from Fylingdales, where they had been snowbound for several days. The ice was thick enough in some places that people were skating on it, and on 22 January a car was driven across the frozen Thames at Oxford. Icicles hung from many roof gutterings, some as long as 3 feet.

On 25 January there was a brief thaw that lasted three days.

February 1963

Snow continued to fall in February 1963, which was stormy with winds reaching Force 8 on the Beaufort scale (gale-force winds).

A 36-hour blizzard caused heavy drifting snow in most parts of the country. Drifts reached 20 feet in some areas and gale-force winds reached up to 81 mph. On the Isle of Man, wind speeds were recorded at 119 mph.

March 1963

March 6 was the first morning of the year without frost in Britain. Temperatures rose to 17 °C (62.6 °F) and the remaining snow disappeared.
Aye, an' all me dad 'ad t'wear were a flat cap'n'wellies .....

summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2019, 09:04 AM

In 63 we got to stay off school Omar and go sledging on old tin trays.....every cloud has a silver lining
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

06-10-2019, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
In 63 we got to stay off school Omar and go sledging on old tin trays.....every cloud has a silver lining
I think there are a couple of tin trays in this picture from Yorkshire in 1963:

The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2019, 11:50 AM

We've fueled up for winter. We always do by the end of September. Might get a bit of bird food though. Suet and mealworms are an important source of calories for them along with the usual bird mixes.

I do hope there's not much snow though. For some reason it depresses me most awfully and I do mean depresses me.

At school we had to write a "composition" about snow having read about "the little bulbs snoozing under the blanket" and all that guff.

I wrote how I felt about the desolation and feeling of hopelessness that I got seeing the land laid out like a corpse - and more on the same lines.

I was only nine but got two strokes of the cane because I didn't write what was expected yet it was and still is how I feel with snow on the ground.l
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2019, 11:53 AM

National Archive footage :

for those who can't see the video :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cl4pJwcE7JI
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

06-10-2019, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
National Archive footage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cl4pJwcE7JI
Superb footage .....

I spotted some softies wearing scarves .....
cuphalffull
North East UK
cuphalffull is female  cuphalffull has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2019, 12:16 PM

It was worse in 1947 ....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top