Join for free
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2019, 09:29 AM

Amazon Echo - No BBC any More?

Having used some amazon echo devices, for a while, to listen to BBC Radio 1/2/etc, especially the news, I now find that the BBC seem to have "Pulled the Plug", on those services, leaving recorded stuff or unknown stations to listen to.

Anyone else noticed this?

Found a way round it?

Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2019, 10:18 AM

Re: Amazon Echo - No BBC any More?

Do you mean there are no BBC Radio stations anymore, TedC?

I do know that they are getting rid of the Red Button "Teletext" service early next year, so more more news at a glance on the TV. We will need to use the internet for this instead of being able to use the 'half-screen' TV/text facility we can use now.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2019, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Having used some amazon echo devices, for a while, to listen to BBC Radio 1/2/etc, especially the news, I now find that the BBC seem to have "Pulled the Plug", on those services, leaving recorded stuff or unknown stations to listen to.

Anyone else noticed this?

Found a way round it?

I'm not an Echo user but I found this article for you:

The BBC has ‘broken’ radio on Amazon Echo devices

https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/news/d...vices-3703165/
The BBC has largely stopped its stations working through TuneIn in favour of its Sounds app and skill, restricting how you can listen to your favourite shows.
It seems very informative .....
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2019, 10:35 AM

The TuneIn skill seems to have stopped having the BBC in its list of options. You can use the dedicated BBC skill to access the Beeb but you lose the multi-room function, in other words you can only listen on one Echo device. I have Echoes in different rooms and can play LBC for example on all of them at the same time.

The BBC skill seems to be a poor one and hasn't got any good ratings. Part of their attempt to stop non license payers using their services? Even if you want to listen to BBC radio on your PC you have to sign in.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2019, 02:24 PM

It seems to be the trend these days, convincing us to buy technology so that we can view/ listen to certain things..... all sounds good until they decide to opt out and there's bugger all you can do about it. This happened with Chromecast when they decided not to support laptops.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2019, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
I'm not an Echo user but I found this article for you:

The BBC has ‘broken’ radio on Amazon Echo devices

https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/news/d...vices-3703165/

It seems very informative .....
Yes, Thanks for that Omah!

That's really going to annoy a lot of folk who have turned out their old Radio sets.

Anyway, maybe it will get put right.

Usual good quality BBC consideration for the public.(not!)
Tedc
Berkshire, UK

08-10-2019, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Do you mean there are no BBC Radio stations anymore, TedC?

I do know that they are getting rid of the Red Button "Teletext" service early next year, so more more news at a glance on the TV. We will need to use the internet for this instead of being able to use the 'half-screen' TV/text facility we can use now.
Only affects Echo users, I think.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK

08-10-2019, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
The TuneIn skill seems to have stopped having the BBC in its list of options. You can use the dedicated BBC skill to access the Beeb but you lose the multi-room function, in other words you can only listen on one Echo device. I have Echoes in different rooms and can play LBC for example on all of them at the same time.

The BBC skill seems to be a poor one and hasn't got any good ratings. Part of their attempt to stop non license payers using their services? Even if you want to listen to BBC radio on your PC you have to sign in.
Yes, I can now see that you can use BBC Radio separately, sometimes, but if you try syncing all the devices that no longer works.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top