Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2013, 07:38 AM

Re: Architectural Blunders - Why?

Remember that song that went 'little boxes, little boxes and they're all made out of ticky tacky (then something or other and then) and they all look just the same'. Kind of sums it up.

I remember walking around York Minster and was in absolute awe at the skill and pride of a job well done that was around in that time period.

Can I throw another element into the pot? I think a stop should be put to these monstrosities as well:

It's not art - it's a heap of, what looks like, scrap metal.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2013, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Robert Junior ->
I nominate STONEHENGE, people come from all over the world to see the grey stones, lured by spectacular pics of romantic rosy skies , rosy sunrises and sunsets.
The reality is it's boring and always raining there. Its next to a very fast road fenced off & reachable through a grotty old underpass. Or you can brave the traffic & view it for free by pressing against the wire fence.
Apologies to any Druids amongst us, I'm speaking aesthetically ,subjectively & mean no disrespect to it's historical importance or its guardians.

You need to actually walk right up to the stones and touch them to get anything from them. Fencing them off is the problem.

Originally Posted by Mollie ->
Well! I can't speak. Stonehenge and the Egyptian pyramids were a feat of engineering in their day several thousand years ago which even today can not be matched without massive lifting tackle in the form of plant and other heavy lifting vehicles that could transport the stones, some of which are 500 tons in weight from a different part of the UK, and which wasn't available then.

So, they can hardly be compared to that ugly building in the photo which towers above wonderful, and more beautiful architecture and which was probably thrown up in a matter of months made from glass and steel, and with absolutely no master craftmanship in its making.

Absolutely horrible. Don't architects have any pride in their work these days? Answer - no! Do they care about the architecture where they're building? Answer - no!

Edit: I visited Stonehenge many years ago before it was fenced off, and to walk around them and touch them was very mystical indeed. They were fenced off because of "bleep-holes" (no, I'll say it - arseholes), who chose to carve things like "Karl luvs Shaz" on them and other defacements and yet, there they had stood for 4000 years before chavs with knives came along.
Excellent post Mollie I completely agree.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2013, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
Remember that song that went 'little boxes, little boxes and they're all made out of ticky tacky (then something or other and then) and they all look just the same'. Kind of sums it up.

I remember walking around York Minster and was in absolute awe at the skill and pride of a job well done that was around in that time period.

Can I throw another element into the pot? I think a stop should be put to these monstrosities as well:

It's not art - it's a heap of, what looks like, scrap metal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmb8bOxP9uw
We have the woking martians make a great urinal now they have closed the public loos at night
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2013, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmb8bOxP9uw
We have the woking martians make a great urinal now they have closed the public loos at night
Good grief - so they can find the money to have stuff like that erected but not to have the bins emptied enough <shakes head>
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2013, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->

I must say I disagree on the criticism of public art. The more diverse and the more the merrier. It's a question of scale.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2013, 11:31 AM

If its a question of 'scale' - then the monstrosity in London 'is' an eyesore and outa place ......
lowfiron
Ojai, CA, USA
lowfiron is male  lowfiron has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2013, 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by Mollie ->
Well! I can't speak. Stonehenge and the Egyptian pyramids were a feat of engineering in their day several thousand years ago which even today can not be matched without massive lifting tackle in the form of plant and other heavy lifting vehicles that could transport the stones, some of which are 500 tons in weight from a different part of the UK, and which wasn't available then.

So, they can hardly be compared to that ugly building in the photo which towers above wonderful, and more beautiful architecture and which was probably thrown up in a matter of months made from glass and steel, and with absolutely no master craftmanship in its making.

Absolutely horrible. Don't architects have any pride in their work these days? Answer - no! Do they care about the architecture where they're building? Answer - no!

Edit: I visited Stonehenge many years ago before it was fenced off, and to walk around them and touch them was very mystical indeed. They were fenced off because of "bleep-holes" (no, I'll say it - arseholes), who chose to carve things like "Karl luvs Shaz" on them and other defacements and yet, there they had stood for 4000 years before chavs with knives came along.
Oh, come on! All the architects I've worked with are pretty passionate about what they do. They do some clinkers and some of them are egotistical and arrogant but most artists I know are that way.
The gherkin is hysterical!! In China, I think, there's a similar tower that has a hat. I'll let you guess..... what I would call it..
lowfiron
Ojai, CA, USA
lowfiron is male  lowfiron has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2013, 02:17 AM

I like Gaudi. How much more crazy can you get with the built environment? I was in Barcelona when I was 19 and I was blown away. I like most of Geary's work, not all, but generally he does some cool stuff. I was not in love with his Santa Monica (CA) mall but I like the Disney Concert Hall in downtown L.A.

They had to do something about the reflective surface of the stainless steel cladding on an area on the Disney building. There's always something you know.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2013, 09:53 AM

We have to endure this ugly looking spin dryer in the centre of Dublin, but at least it reflects the sunlight upwards.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

06-09-2013, 10:08 AM

I watched the film The Philadelphia Experiment a few days ago and when the ship reappeared, there was a chap fused into the deck - for some reason, that building, Jem, reminded me of him!

(Thanks for mentioning Rumpole on youtube by the way, I watched the first episode yesterday and loved it. I read all the books years ago but have never watched the tv series.)

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top