Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2020, 11:06 PM

Re: guess what is missing 4

It is a martello tower at the head of Sovereign Harbour Eastbourne

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martello_tower

Between 1804 and 1812 the British authorities built a chain of towers based on the original Mortella tower to defend the south and east coast of England, Ireland, Jersey and Guernsey to guard against possible invasion from France, then under the rule of Napoleon I. A total of 103[5] Martello towers were built in England, set at regular intervals along the coast from Seaford, Sussex, to Aldeburgh, Suffolk. Most were constructed under the direction of General William Twiss (1745–1827) and a Captain Ford.[9][10] The northernmost tower at Aldeburgh is of quatrefoil design, i.e. four in one.[11]

Included in the scheme were three much larger circular forts or redoubts that were constructed at Harwich, Dymchurch and Eastbourne; they acted as supply depots for the smaller towers as well as being powerful fortifications in their own right.[12]

The effectiveness of Britain's Martello towers was never actually tested in combat against a Napoleonic invasion fleet. They were, however, effective in hindering smuggling.[13] After the threat had passed, the Martello towers in England met a variety of fates. The Coastguard took over many to aid in the fight against smuggling.

A Martello tower at Clacton-on-Sea on the east coast of England.
Fifteen towers were demolished to enable the re-use of their masonry. The sea washed thirty away and the military destroyed four in experiments to test the effectiveness of the new rifled artillery. During the Second World War, some Martello towers returned to military service as observation platforms and firing platforms for anti-aircraft artillery.

Forty-seven Martello towers have survived in England, a few of which have been restored and transformed into museums (e.g., the towers at St Osyth and Seaford) visitor centres, and galleries (such as Jaywick Martello Tower). Some are privately owned or are private residences,[14] The remainder are derelict. A survey of the East Coast towers in 2007 found of the 17 remaining, most were in a reasonable condition.[15]

Many remaining Martello Towers are now Listed Buildings.[16]
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2020, 11:14 AM

sorry, that doesn't belong there. Can you give us some palm trees instead!
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2020, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
sorry, that doesn't belong there. Can you give us some palm trees instead!

I will see if I can get the authorities to move it for you
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2020, 09:29 AM

What's missing? My enthusiasm for this site.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

19-11-2020, 10:40 AM

error

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top