Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2020, 10:06 AM

Wild Bird food

Mr M asked me casually yesterday ,how much do we spend on bird food ?

I had to say quite a bit i love to feed the birds

I buy premium bird seed from the pet shop it has more good seed less wheat i also buy suet pellets and dried meal worms ( from Home bargains _ the birds love them ) also fat balls form the same shop .

This mornings hard frost has brought out the birds .

I have had some 20 rooks ,lots of Jackdaws and crows . Two magpies two blackbirds several wood pigeons and lots of sparrows and tits . Also some other birds i can identify.

Needless to say the stuff I put out only an hour ago has all been gobbled up .

But I have few vices don’t smoke , only a glass of vino per day
( well sometimes two ) so I feel i can indulge myself with some bird food )

The birds wait for me the rooms in the trees ( it a bit Alfred Hitchcock ) and caw impatiently if I take to long putting the grub out .

( hurry up woman get inside and take that ******* dog with you !
noolsg
Kildare Ireland
noolsg is female  noolsg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2020, 10:13 AM

Re: Wild Bird food

I get you. I love seeing the different birds that visit my table. Different types come at different times
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2020, 10:28 AM

I'm like you, I have 4 seed feeders, 1 meal worm feeder, one suet pellet feeder, 1peanut feeder, 2 fat ball feeders and a ground feeder for the big birds. Not all in use at the same time though.
But I do wish those bloody magpies would quit ripping up my lawn, they are driving me nuts, I used to have lovely lawns, now I have to fill in holes every day. I got a load of new turf last summer and spend a couple of days sorting out the mess, but it's started up again.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2020, 10:51 AM

I don't spend all that much on feeding the birds but throw a few handfuls of bird food out every day. Also put suet balls in a feeder. There's a blackbird that comes up to within a few feet of me to be fed.

I scrape crumbs from the breadboard or table onto the lawn reminding myself that it is small for me but a meal for a bird.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2020, 10:59 AM

I put Mealworms out and the non-sprouting bird seed. we get it loose from the pet shop which is much cheaper than our supermarket
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2020, 11:28 AM

we are plagued with seagulls, next door puts the dog food outside for the dog and flocks of gulls appear making a hell of a din. So no point in putting out "bird seed" they won't get any
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2020, 12:37 PM

I stopped feeding 'my' birds some months ago, due to our rat problem, it was just at lockdown & they had bred, we had 4 baby rats on the bird table, cute but not good, so reluctantly I stopped feeding the birds & haven't started again yet.
I get my wild bird food from Haith's, it's delivered free if you order so much & it's good quality, there are several different mixes you can chose from too.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2020, 12:50 PM

Hi

I have two bird feeders, food from Home Bargains.

I love to see the birds.

I have no rats, I have a legal maximum air rifle and dead rats
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2020, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
I stopped feeding 'my' birds some months ago, due to our rat problem, it was just at lockdown & they had bred, we had 4 baby rats on the bird table, cute but not good, so reluctantly I stopped feeding the birds & haven't started again yet.
I get my wild bird food from Haith's, it's delivered free if you order so much & it's good quality, there are several different mixes you can chose from too.

Tiff, There are lots of feeders you can use that don't let the pests get anything..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...l+bird+feeders
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2020, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
Tiff, There are lots of feeders you can use that don't let the pests get anything..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...l+bird+feeders
Food still gets dropped on the floor & rats can & do get anywhere. So no those would not work.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top