Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
scot37
Aberdeenshire
scot37 is male  scot37 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-12-2020, 12:11 AM

Re: Black and White

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
Bring back....
Ella Fitzgerald
Louis Armstrong
Billie Holiday Diana Ross
Johnny Mathis
Ben E King,
to mention a few, not true black people can't sing, agree these are all American though.
You could add Nat King Cole to the list as well also one I like to listen to Paul Robeson. All American of course.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-12-2020, 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by scot37 ->
You could add Nat King Cole to the list as well also one I like to listen to Paul Robeson. All American of course.
And those, all brilliant singers, I couldn't list them all.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-12-2020, 01:36 AM

The BBC TV show was but a pale imitation (ironically):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minstrel_show

The minstrel show, or minstrelsy, was an American form of entertainment developed in the early 19th century. Each show consisted of comic skits, variety acts, dancing, and music performances that depicted people specifically of African descent. The shows were performed by mostly white people in make-up or blackface for the purpose of playing the role of black people. There were also some African-American performers and black only minstrel groups that formed and toured. Minstrel shows lampooned black people as dim-witted, lazy, buffoonish, superstitious, and happy-go-lucky.

Minstrel shows emerged as brief burlesques and comic entr'actes in the early 1830s in the Northeastern states. They were developed into full-fledged form in the next decade. By 1848, blackface minstrel shows were the national artform, translating formal art such as opera into popular terms for a general audience.

By the turn of the 20th century, the minstrel show enjoyed but a shadow of its former popularity, having been replaced for the most part by vaudeville. The form survived as professional entertainment until about 1910; amateur performances continued until the 1960s in high schools and local theaters.

The genre has had a lasting legacy and influence and was featured in a television series as recently as 1975 (The Black and White Minstrel Show starring the George Mitchell Minstrels*). Generally, as the civil rights movement progressed and gained acceptance, minstrels lost popularity.

The typical minstrel performance followed a three-act structure. The troupe first danced onto stage then exchanged wisecracks and sang songs. The second part featured a variety of entertainments, including the pun-filled stump speech. The final act consisted of a slapstick musical plantation skit or a send-up of a popular play.

Minstrel songs and sketches featured several stock characters, most popularly the slave and the dandy. These were further divided into sub-archetypes such as the mammy, her counterpart the old darky, the provocative mulatto wench, and the black soldier. Minstrels claimed that their songs and dances were authentically black, although the extent of the black influence remains debated. Spirituals (known as jubilees) entered the repertoire in the 1870s, marking the first undeniably black music to be used in minstrelsy.

Blackface minstrelsy was the first theatrical form that was distinctly American. During the 1830s and 1840s at the height of its popularity, it was at the epicenter of the American music industry. For several decades, it provided the means through which American whites viewed black people. On the one hand, it had strong racist aspects; on the other, it afforded white Americans more awareness, albeit distorted, of some aspects of black culture in America.

Although the minstrel shows were extremely popular, being "consistently packed with families from all walks of life and every ethnic group", they were also controversial. Integrationists decried them as falsely showing happy slaves while at the same time making fun of them; segregationists thought such shows were "disrespectful" of social norms as they portrayed runaway slaves with sympathy and would undermine the Southerners' "peculiar institution".
That's just the introduction - the full article is much, much longer.

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bl..._Minstrel_Show

Yes, that's Leslie Crowther - George Chisholm and Stan Stennett also "starred" in the appalling show .....
Tregonsee
Lancashire UK
Tregonsee is male  Tregonsee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-12-2020, 10:18 AM

Ffs it was a show of the time.
I wonder what the current crop of comedians ( political puppets) will be lambasted for in the future?
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-12-2020, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Tregonsee ->
Ffs it was a show of the time.
How does that excuse it from being an absurd spectacle?

Originally Posted by Tregonsee ->
I wonder what the current crop of comedians ( political puppets) will be lambasted for in the future?
For not being funny, I expect; although I see no reason not to lambast them for it now.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-12-2020, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
Bring back....
Ella Fitzgerald
Louis Armstrong
Billie Holiday Diana Ross
Johnny Mathis
Ben E King,
to mention a few, not true black people can't sing, agree these are all American though.
True Tiff, but if you compiled a list of white UK singers your list would be too big to post here....
And some of those American black singers might just have been too busy to come over here at the time....
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-12-2020, 02:12 PM

The B&W Minstrels belong in the days of B&W TV.

Definitely an absurd spectacle in 1978 technicolour.

JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-12-2020, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
There weren't enough black people who could sing that lived in the UK to make up a decent choir in those days, so they had to paint up some white folks.....A lot of black people can't sing today either, that's why they rap mostly....
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-12-2020, 02:24 PM

The Black and White Minstrel Show never held any interest for me, but my parents loved it and so did many others in the day.

There are so many accusations of racism today, where none exists, so I'm not in the least surprised that the B&WMS has come in for such criticisms as well.

I'm absolutely sure that I am only one of many, no doubt the vast majority, to whom accusations of 'racism' are meaningless and blow away in the wind.

I accept, of course, that we live in the Age of the Offended. It will pass eventually, as do all the trendy ideas which crop up.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-12-2020, 02:30 PM

Not just the Black & White Minstrel show. They have never shown It Aint Half Hot Mum again either. I thought that was funny.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top