Join for free
Page 2 of 21 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2020, 03:45 PM

Re: A Cheer For Boris!

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Do you know any politician that is honest, Lindy?

I still agree with the others though, well done Boris.
He's had a pig of a year, probably more difficult than other PM's have had for a long time.
I agree Mups! I would not have chosen Boris for PM, but when you see what the alternative PMs would be there was nobody better!
What has made me appreciate him is that he listened to the majority of people, who voted to leave, and made sure their vote became reality! That is what any PM should do & if anybody has complaints he can say " I did what you asked in the best way I could"
If life is difficult after we are out, we have nobody to blame but the voters, as I know that the Remainers who didn't want to leave were either in the minority or just couldn't be bothered to vote!

What we need now is a PM that can continue for a number of years, without constant criticism from those who are wanting his position.
Things are unlikely to be easy for a few years, but at least we will have greater control over what we can, or cannot do!
I wonder if we will think, in a few years, that Covid caused us a lot of problems... but at least it gave those who were anti-Boris something else to think about, rather than trying to force him to abandon Brexit

Looks like he has done what we asked him to.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2020, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
I agree Mups! I would not have chosen Boris for PM, but when you see what the alternative PMs would be there was nobody better!
What has made me appreciate him is that he listened to the majority of people, who voted to leave, and made sure their vote became reality! That is what any PM should do & if anybody has complaints he can say " I did what you asked in the best way I could"
If life is difficult after we are out, we have nobody to blame but the voters, as I know that the Remainers who didn't want to leave were either in the minority or just couldn't be bothered to vote!

What we need now is a PM that can continue for a number of years, without constant criticism from those who are wanting his position.
Things are unlikely to be easy for a few years, but at least we will have greater control over what we can, or cannot do!
I wonder if we will think, in a few years, that Covid caused us a lot of problems... but at least it gave those who were anti-Boris something else to think about, rather than trying to force him to abandon Brexit

Looks like he has done what we asked him to.

Nicely put.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2020, 07:02 PM

Hi
Both sides are claiming a huge victory and that the other side backed down

That is politics for you.

Look on the bright side .

At least Diane Abbott is not costing it.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2020, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi
Both sides are claiming a huge victory and that the other side backed down

That is politics for you.

Look on the bright side .

At least Diane Abbott is not costing it.

Look, no matter who says what the simple fact is that if this deal gets passed by both the UK parliament and by the EU parliament AND neither of us cedes sovereignty to the other then it is a win for everybody.

It makes life easier all round because as soon as leaving became a reality everybody knew there would be change, but this way there's less disruption.

It really is time for everybody to move on now.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2020, 07:53 PM

I'm just so glad it's all over. It is all over, isn't it? nothing will change, we may get away with paying them less, but are we going to witness any financial benefits? No. And will the eu continue to make the world a better place in our absence? The answer is no, and a lot of people are going to get hurt.

But I do believe it was time to put the eu project to bed.

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
He's had his "knockers" who said he'd screw up.

He's fought off Remainers, Court Cases, Used & Forgotten PMs, and he still won the election on his promise to get us out.

Well, that's what he did!

As the Telegraph points out, there are not many up there, in the HOP, who could have achieved it.

Next?

Continue the clear out!

Well done Boris.

p.s. Wise words from Nige, as well!!

p.p.s. Well done Frosty!

Hi Tedc

Next? Continue the clear out! ... what's that then?
Zaphod
Lincs UK

26-12-2020, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
I'm just so glad it's all over. It is all over, isn't it? nothing will change, we may get away with paying them less, but are we going to witness any financial benefits? No. And will the eu continue to make the world a better place in our absence? The answer is no, and a lot of people are going to get hurt.

But I do believe it was time to put the eu project to bed.

Hi Tedc

Next? Continue the clear out! ... what's that then?
I presume that it refers to the proposed reforms - the HoL; civil service etc.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2020, 08:11 PM

Post brexit UK may be on a slow boat to China politically.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2020, 08:16 PM

Boris was 'the least worst option' for me but probably the only person in parliament capable of seeing Brexit through to the end.
He picked a good negotiating team headed by Frost who I think has done the best job he could with what was available. A big improvement on Mays deal which would have kept to tied to the EU.

Boris is not a good orator , I think he finds spontaneity difficult when it comes to making speeches and he doesn't 'think before he speaks' . I often groan at the words that come out of his mouth .
I do think he has been dealt the worst possible hand as one disaster follows another, he battles on endlessly optimistic with a cheerful demeanor . It his wildest dreams he can't possibly have imagined his goal of being PM could have come with so many extreme events.

I think beneath all the ramblings and bluster Boris does have 'the common touch'. I hope eventually he will emerge as the person who laid the foundations for a different kind of prosperous uk.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2020, 09:03 PM

I saw a tweet that this was just May's deal dressed up a little. Is that true? If not what's the key difference?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2020, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Boris was 'the least worst option' for me but probably the only person in parliament capable of seeing Brexit through to the end.
He picked a good negotiating team headed by Frost who I think has done the best job he could with what was available. A big improvement on Mays deal which would have kept to tied to the EU.

I thought the only change was Frost replacing Robbins. I'm sure it was also swayed by Covid.

Page 2 of 21 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top