Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2021, 11:52 AM

Re: I Am Feeding 'my' garden Birds Again.

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
I am thinking about putting some fat balls out, Tiff, I’m not going to take the chance of visiting Wilco at the moment, to risky.....have you seen any more rats?

If you do, make sure to put them somewhere where your dog can't eat the bits of fat the birds drop, as it could be harmful.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2021, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
If you do, make sure to put them somewhere where your dog can't eat the bits of fat the birds drop.
Are fat balls poisonous to dogs, Mups?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2021, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
Are fat balls poisonous to dogs, Mups?

It's the high fat content Tiff.
I don't use them for that reason.

Here's a bit of info here:

" Fat balls for wild birds - the inherently high fat content makes these very attractive to dogs, but if eaten could result in pancreatitis. Store fat balls safely away from your dog, and site the feeders high up and out of reach."
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2021, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
It's the high fat content Tiff.
I don't use them for that reason.

Here's a bit of info here:

" Fat balls for wild birds - the inherently high fat content makes these very attractive to dogs, but if eaten could result in pancreatitis. Store fat balls safely away from your dog, and site the feeders high up and out of reach."
I didn't know that, I don't have a dog now, but it's good advice.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2021, 01:17 PM

No, I haven't Pauline, thank goodness. If they're only around at night I'll not see them anyway, it's when they are out during the day that it worries me. Having not actually fed the birds for nearly a year I hope they have gone elsewhere.

The rat I saw, Tiff, was out in the day,it had a dead bird in its mouth, plus I saw it walking along the top of my fence,

But then, how would I know it was the same one, I tell you, it was huge!...

When I fed my birds, their favourite was sunflower hearts, the problem was, I also had pigeons, they would sit on the top of my tv Ariel ,my decking is directly under it, when they poo it went all over my decking,...if i didn’t clean up behind them every day, especially in the summer, if that poo dried, what a job I had getting it off.

That reminds me, I must check to see if they have still been sitting up there, as I haven’t fed the birds in months, I haven’t checked my decking in ages.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon

08-01-2021, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
The rat I saw, Tiff, was out in the day,it had a dead bird in its mouth, plus I saw it walking along the top of my fence,

But then, how would I know it was the same one, I tell you, it was huge!...

When I fed my birds, their favourite was sunflower hearts, the problem was, I also had pigeons, they would sit on the top of my tv Ariel ,my decking is directly under it, when they poo it went all over my decking,...if i didn’t clean up behind them every day, especially in the summer, if that poo dried, what a job I had getting it off.

That reminds me, I must check to see if they have still been sitting up there, as I haven’t fed the birds in months, I haven’t checked my decking in ages.
Did you stop because of seeing a rat as well?

Today I have a Robin, a Great Tit, a Blue Tit, a Blackbird, a Blackcap & a charm of Goldfinches in my garden, plus the usual Corvids. Word is getting round that there is food here.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2021, 02:14 PM

Did you stop because of seeing a rat as well?

Today I have a Robin, a Great Tit, a Blue Tit, a Blackbird, a Blackcap & a charm of Goldfinches in my garden, plus the usual Corvids. Word is getting round that there is food here.

I did indeed, yes, it doesn’t take long for the birds to find food, especially in this weather.

You have some lovely birds, visiting your garden.
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2021, 12:13 AM

We were awoken to an awful racket.Two young Black Cockatoos demanding to be fed by their parents and they were all in the tree outside our window.They like the small grubs under the bark and it took a long time before they were satisfied.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

10-01-2021, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by Psmith ->
We were awoken to an awful racket.Two young Black Cockatoos demanding to be fed by their parents and they were all in the tree outside our window.They like the small grubs under the bark and it took a long time before they were satisfied.

I don't think I've ever seen a bBack Cockatoo, I'll have to google that.

Just had a look, and I think the other colours are much prettier.
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2021, 12:28 AM

We have the Sulphur-Crested ones too.But the black ones are less common around here.At least they were but trees are being cut down everywhere and they are having to go further afield for their food.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top