Join for free
Page 14 of 27 « First < 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 > Last »
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2021, 07:05 PM

Re: Is Brexit over ??

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->

AFAIK it isn't up to Boris though; IIRC it would take a change in the law before elections can be delayes, & that means a vote in Parliament.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-b1783198.html

Elections in May set to be delayed again, Boris Johnson hints
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2021, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->

Very wise imo !
Once on top, stay on top!!
First law of politics. !!!

Donkeyman! 👍👍
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2021, 07:41 PM

That was a week ago and lots can change in a week.
This is from yesterday:
"The bar for postponing English elections due on 6 May is "quite high", minister Chloe Smith has said."
"Ms Smith said the date was being "kept under review" and that any change would need the support of MPs."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-55647299
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2021, 07:55 PM

Well Reform UK won't go away!

I'll vote for them in May just to show my support.
Unfortunately, in my area they always vote for the Limp Dems.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2021, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Well Reform UK won't go away!

I'll vote for them in May just to show my support.
Unfortunately, in my area they always vote for the Limp Dems.
With the new boundary changes, the Conservatives look to get an extra 10 seats anyway.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2021, 01:01 PM

That was a week ago and lots can change in a week.
This is from yesterday:
"The bar for postponing English elections due on 6 May is "quite high", minister Chloe Smith has said."
"Ms Smith said the date was being "kept under review" and that any change would need the support of MPs."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-55647299

Guess they will have to make a decision soon.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2021, 01:43 PM

Hi

Not a fan of Postal Voting, but it is a necessary evil this time round.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2021, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
With the new boundary changes, the Conservatives look to get an extra 10 seats anyway.
I was going to say that that must be a good thing.

However, being aware that there is a lot of disagreement within the Conservative party in government right now, who knows.

I sometimes think that we shall never, as a country, be in a position where we all pull together.

The last time that happened was in the Second World War, but even then there were dissenters and those who suggested that we might be better allying ourselves with Nazi Germany.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2021, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I was going to say that that must be a good thing.

However, being aware that there is a lot of disagreement within the Conservative party in government right now, who knows.

I sometimes think that we shall never, as a country, be in a position where we all pull together.

The last time that happened was in the Second World War, but even then there were dissenters and those who suggested that we might be better allying ourselves with Nazi Germany.
It will be interesting to see how British politics develops, because the way things are going the major two parties stand a great chance of their days of huge inflence being over.
As you say, it looks unlikely (at this moment in time certainly) that enough of the country is so like-minded as to all pull together.
Politics reflects that.

Labour are still useless and divided, & only time will tell whether or not the Tories will fare any better.
The Liberals (as were) have pretty much imploded and certainly are not liberal any more.
In Scotland the SNP are divided too, and the battle raging now is almost certain to lead to huge change in that party.

It looks increasingly possible that we'll end up with more but smaller parties and have coalitions every election like the Dutch, who take months to form a government because of it.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2021, 04:36 PM

- snip -

It looks increasingly possible that we'll end up with more but smaller parties and have coalitions every election like the Dutch, who take months to form a government because of it.
This is exactly what happens in Italy. It's a national sport over there.

Page 14 of 27 « First < 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top