Join for free
Page 6 of 27 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 16 > Last »
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2021, 04:03 PM

Re: Is Brexit over ??

Originally Posted by JBR ->
A very good point which hasn't been considered as yet.

Yes, of course, our MPs were not all in favour of a no-deal and that has effectively held us back.

I, too, hope that Boris does something about the two remaining problems as I see it:
- the supertrawlers pillaging the fish that we have left;
- the continuing invasion across the Channel, apparently being encouraged by the Frogs.
I was reading in Saturday's Telegraph that while our Government can legislate and ban various style of fishing (e.g. pulse beam) and mesh sizes of nets, there is no way in the world it can legislate against the size of trawlers. Whether this is true or not remains to be seen. There is an on-line petition available, which so far has 46,134 signatures.

In today's DE, there is a story about an Irish trawler being kicked out of Rockall last week that never made it in the MSM.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2021, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
All the benefits of leaving that you list Zaphod are real, but cannot
under present arrangements be fully realised for another 5+ years?
Meantime we will have another election?? Who knows what will
happen then?? Just before we are allowed to renegotiate the fishing
fiasco!! ( note the word allowed!) The EU did not pick the figure of
5-5 years fishing transition by accident ??
We all have Brexit fatigue in UK, this is part of their strategy?
You are correct, we have the potential to claim all the benefits of
leaving, but will we do so? The EU is gambling that after another 5+
years we won't, and l tend to agree with them !!
Why? because as l have said earlier, the Tory party is STILL
composed of 75% remainders despite what they may claim of
" honouring the vote" , and Boris has not included any of what l would
call " hard Line Brexiteers " in his cabinet, despite a couple of
reshuffles ??
Why not ??
Boris needs to demonstrate his intentions to change things, not
only to us but to the EU too by banning these super trawlers from
operating anywhere in our territory at all before anymore damage
is done?international law is on his side, conservation is on his side,
Justice, if there is such a thing, is on his side !! And above all, l would
be on his side !!😀
Well said.

At the risk of repeating myself yet again, I believe he has sold us out.

He has less than 4 years to convince me otherwise because in 2024, unless he has made amends, I shall vote for the Reform UK party and damn the consequences.

If it splits the right-wing vote and allows Kneel Smarmer into government, so be it. I couldn't care less now!
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2021, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
And which courts would oversee that disagreement?

The ECJ?

No point in continuing to argue about this. I still have my opinion which, I'm sure, you would assure me is wrong and that I must therefore agree with your opinion.

I will, of course, agree about May, but that's an end to it.
The ECJ now have no jurisdiction over the UK.
Anywhere.
Have you seriously not followed where even the Tory/Brexit hardliners have said as much?

If lawyers were to argue concerning future disagreements it would be either via the WTO or via the International Court of Justice.

You are of course entitled to an opinion, but I would rather see that opinion based upon fact than supposition or plain erroneous assumption.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2021, 04:50 PM

All the benefits of leaving that you list Zaphod are real, but cannot
under present arrangements be fully realised for another 5+ years? Meantime we will have another election?? Who knows what will
happen then?? Just before we are allowed to renegotiate the fishing
fiasco!! ( note the word allowed!) The EU did not pick the figure of
5-5 years fishing transition by accident ??
Eh?
I don't wish to appear rude but WTF are you talking about?
The benefits are real and apply now.
There is no 5 years - even with our waters; they are ours and we control access now.
The share of the catch that we dictate increases over 5 years.
As for the time, are you forgetting that the EU wanted 13 years?
We cannot take advantage of more now because we do not have the fishing fleet to do so.

What has an election got to do with anything?
Boris is seeing to it that any reversal re: Brexit would be very difficult.

We all have Brexit fatigue in UK, this is part of their strategy?
You are correct, we have the potential to claim all the benefits of
leaving, but will we do so? The EU is gambling that after another 5+
years we won't, and l tend to agree with them !!
We all have Brexit fatigue.
Evidently poor comprehension isn't helping.
Neither you nor I and even Boris can be responsible for what our fishermen do, now or in the future.
The means for expansion is there if they choose it.
We cannot force them.
If they get their act together the EU's share in 5.5 years could easily become zero, if not just much smaller than it is now.

Boris needs to demonstrate his intentions to change things
He is!
Or at least, he's started to.
What do you want?
Blood?

He's banned pulse fishing.
He's started expunging references to the EU from our laws.
He's promised to change the law so that we can build our own to the benefit of our own country.

I'm not strongly pro the Brexit deal and neither am I pro-Boris.
But I'm not going to keep on ignoring the obvious ignorance being suggested in some posts either.

Some Brexiters have long said that Remainers should accept that the democratic decision had been decided, and move on.
Equally it is time for Brexiters to recognise that we have now left the EU and move on.
If in time such Brexiters are still unhappy with how Brexit is turning out, there are regular elections with a ready-made part waiting in the wings as an alternative.
Instead of pointless grumbling, make your vote count.

* That is not necessarily directed at any one person but rather at anybody who is unhappy full stop.
Zaphod
Lincs UK

11-01-2021, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
I was reading in Saturday's Telegraph that while our Government can legislate and ban various style of fishing (e.g. pulse beam) and mesh sizes of nets, there is no way in the world it can legislate against the size of trawlers. Whether this is true or not remains to be seen. There is an on-line petition available, which so far has 46,134 signatures.

In today's DE, there is a story about an Irish trawler being kicked out of Rockall last week that never made it in the MSM.
Oh it's taken the DE a while to pick up on a story that The Telegraph ran on Jan 6th!
And which I mention in a post earlier too, BTW.

As to the first part of your post, exactly so.
There is no perfect answer, as the report makes apparent.
What puzzles me is the obsession in this forum with the EU fishing in UK waters, since these EU vessels numbers are being reduced; they must generally now fish further away as we have seen in the reports; the situation will be reviewed fully in 5.5 years; AND we ourselves simply do not have the capacity to fish more ourselves yet.

I'm truly beginning to think that some people either do not understand or they do not want to understand that as from Jan 1st 2021, UK waters up to the 200-mile limit as shown frequently in media are our own.
Some EU fishing ships get reducing access for 5.5 years, but these waters are the UK's.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2021, 05:03 PM

We can't legislate for the size of trawlers, neither can any country, but we can refuse to license them for fishing in our waters. We should do that now and use the conservation and sustainability clauses in the UK fisheries bill to justify it.
Zaphod
Lincs UK

11-01-2021, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
We can't legislate for the size of trawlers, neither can any country, but we can refuse to license them for fishing in our waters. We should do that now and use the conservation and sustainability clauses in the UK fisheries bill to justify it.
That's an option which MP's are supposedly suggesting.
IMHO it's only a matter of time before this happens; let's hope it comes sooner rather than later.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2021, 05:20 PM

I shouldn't bother with the petition. I have signed several now and each one, if discussed in Parliament, is rejected because the government feels it is not appropriate at this time, or words to that effect!

I think the Irish fishermen at Rockall was reported in the Express the other day.

I'd be interested to read details of the international law that precludes the UK from banning supertrawlers or, perhaps as better stated, fishing vessels above a specified size.

All I hear these days is that for this reason or that reason we are not allowed to do this or that in our own territories!
Zaphod
Lincs UK

11-01-2021, 05:26 PM

As a person there are things which you aren't allowed to do, even within your own home.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

11-01-2021, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
The ECJ now have no jurisdiction over the UK.
Anywhere.
Have you seriously not followed where even the Tory/Brexit hardliners have said as much?
Yes, I know that. That's why I said it!

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
If lawyers were to argue concerning future disagreements it would be either via the WTO or via the International Court of Justice.

You are of course entitled to an opinion, but I would rather see that opinion based upon fact than supposition or plain erroneous assumption.
And you are convinced that the WTO and the ICJ would come down against us?
Are we actually now a sovereign state?
I sometimes wonder.

Perhaps your opinions could be justified by the provision of indisputable facts?

Page 6 of 27 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 16 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top