Join for free
Page 10 of 19 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 > Last »
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2018, 04:10 PM

Re: Send for the Cavalry

Originally Posted by Bread ->
The railways were nationalised because if EU directive 91/440.

British Rail was a joke... the reason it's still crap is because it's not all privatised.
Wrong again bread. It is just the other way round.

During the 20th century the railways became organised and run through a country wide organisation]*often through nationalisation. These entities in general had total or virtual monopolies.
These national companies were vertically integrated organisations and it was difficult or impossible for private or regional enterprises to run their own trains on the national networks, or to compete in other EU countries' railway systems. Thus in 1991*EU Directive 91/440*was created to make it a legal requirement for independent companies to be able to apply for non-discriminatory track access (running powers) on a European Union country's track.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2018, 04:48 PM

I agree with Longdogs.
itsme
Wigan UK
itsme is male  itsme has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2018, 04:58 PM

You're quoting the wrong part. It was part of the trans European network.

Whereas, in order to render railway transport efficient and
competitive as compared with other modes of transport,
Member States must guarantee that railway undertakings
are afforded a status of independent operators behaving in
a commercial manner and adapting to market needs;
Whereas the future development and efficient operation of
the railway system may be made easier if a distinction is
made between the provision of transport services and the
operation of infrastructure; whereas given this situation, it
is necessary for these two activities to be separately
managed and have separate accounts;
Whereas, in order to boost competition in railway service
management in terms of improved comfort and the services
provided to users, it is appropriate for Member States to
retain general responsibility for the development of the
appropriate railway infrastructure ;

Try that.. that was 1991 and major privatised in 92.
Yes it does say that, which seems contradictory to my post also taken from the same directive.

However, the highlighted sentence would suggest that my post is more relevant in this matter.

Perhaps you may wish to consider that. But then again!
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2018, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by itsme ->
Yes it does say that, which seems contradictory to my post also taken from the same directive.

However, the highlighted sentence would suggest that my post is more relevant in this matter.

It's part of the TEN where Germany get to run the trains on EU infrastructure ...

Edit: sorry really busy tucking into a bottle of chateu Neuf du Pape so not good at typing anymore ha ha
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2018, 07:03 PM

You're quoting the wrong part. It was part of the trans European network.

Whereas, in order to render railway transport efficient and
competitive as compared with other modes of transport,
Member States must guarantee that railway undertakings
are afforded a status of independent operators behaving in
a commercial manner and adapting to market needs
;
Whereas the future development and efficient operation of
the railway system may be made easier if a distinction is
made between the provision of transport services and the
operation of infrastructure; whereas given this situation, it
is necessary for these two activities to be separately
managed and have separate accounts;
Whereas, in order to boost competition in railway service
management in terms of improved comfort and the services
provided to users, it is appropriate for Member States to
retain general responsibility for the development of the
appropriate railway infrastructure ;

Try that.. that was 1991 and major privatised in 92.
Are Deutsche Bahn and SNCF independent operators?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2018, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
While I'm in favour of nationalizing almost anything including the railways, I was just wondering can we insist our utilities are owned only by UK rather than us paying a fortune for our fuel etc to other countries ? I can't see we have gained anything by allowing that to happen over the years !
I agree.

From what I can see, the whole bloody country has been sold of to foreign companies.

Our politicians were no doubt responsible, or at least played a part.

It's not surprising, then, that many of them are doing their best to sell the whole of our governance to the EU.

Why, though, I don't know...
other than the distinct possibility that they can make personal fortunes out of it.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2018, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by itsme ->

Though the original directive was seen by some as a law bringing about privatisation of the railways,*there are no requirements in the legislation requiring any level of privatisation.*The main aim of the process was the "de-monopolisation" of European railways, with the aim of increasing competitiveness,*a process referred to as 'liberalisation'.

A subsidiary of the British company*DB Schenker Rail (UK),*EuroCargoRail, operates trains in France and Spain, a situation unlikely prior to the liberalisation.

The increase in cross-border traffic has fuelled demand for multiple voltage electric locomotives such as Bombardier's*TRAXX, Siemen's*Eurosprinter*and electric versions of Alstom's*Prima*locomotives series.

In passenger transport, large transport corporations have been created, or expanded into the rail market from other related activities such as*FirstGroup,*Veolia,*Serco*and*Arriva.

In the UK, the directives have been criticised in some areas*partly based on the problems with the full privatisation of*British Rail, additionally the regulations favour competitive practice which are not necessarily compatible with workers rights.

With thanks to wikipedia.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

22-12-2018, 08:09 PM

Edit: sorry really busy tucking into a bottle of chateu Neuf du Pape so not good at typing anymore ha ha
Translation: you are settling down in your chair to watch Watership down. You feel a little bit like fiver?
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2018, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Are Deutsche Bahn and SNCF independent operators?

Bit of both ... being an AG it's private but all shares owned by the government....
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

22-12-2018, 09:41 PM

Bit of both ... being an AG it's private but all shares owned by the government....
Mwah. Deutsche Bahn Schenker Rail is british owned (as yet), and its subsidary EuroCargoRail operates trains in france and spain. How to entangle this after brexit?

Page 10 of 19 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top