Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2014, 05:29 PM

Where's all the Jobs then?

I keep seeing reports that the economy is on the up and everything's better with unemployment down and 'everything in the garden' is wonderful but I've spent 3 hours today going through sites online for part-time work and around here it's as dire as ever so who's telling us porkies I wonder? stevmk2
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2014, 06:47 PM

Re: Where's all the Jobs then?

Where are all the workers then ?

I needed to have various work carried out on my house this year a flat roof on the garage/ new loo and each time I contacted a number of people to give quotes and I was surprised how few bothered to get back to me .

The last occasion was three weeks ago when I requested quotes from 5 people to relay the slabs on my patio and repair a wall and only 2 bothered to get back to me and give a quote.

So where are these people who can't find work please send them to me
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2014, 06:47 PM

You must be in the wrong area,my son left a job and next day started another didnt like that after a week so left that and started another 3 days later ,,plenty of jobs out there .
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2014, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->

I needed to have various work carried out on my house this year a flat roof on the garage/ new loo and each time I contacted a number of people to give quotes and I was surprised how few bothered to get back to me .

The last occasion was three weeks ago when I requested quotes from 5 people to relay the slabs on my patio and repair a wall and only 2 bothered to get back to me and give a quote.

So where are these people who can't find work
They are busy doing bigger jobs Meg,happened to me that did,, they can pick and choose and go for the one thats going to be a big job and big payer.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2014, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Eliza ->
They are busy doing bigger jobs Meg,happened to me that did,, they can pick and choose and go for the one thats going to be a big job and big payer.
that is very annoying Eliza . As the charge is based on an hourly rate it shouldn't matter if the job is large or small.
They could take on 'the Steve's' part time then we would al be happy
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2014, 07:20 PM

It's true that some people seem to be able to jump from job to job. It's also true that some workers can't be arsed to take on a job that doesn't pay too much. I've seen tradesmen advertise and have tried to phone them, their phone is busy, you leave a message,then they can't be arsed getting back to you. Must be great being able to pick and choose jobs!! It's utterly ridiculuous.
Sweetsue
midWales
Sweetsue is female  Sweetsue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2014, 10:44 PM

Like you Meg I have been trying all summer to get someone to repair my side porch, (roof blew off in February) everyone in this area is far too busy to take on small jobs.
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2014, 10:03 AM

Could it be because of all the floods that we had again. I know if was quite a few months ago now. But it does take a while before then can get on with the work and if their insurance is paying for it that is a guaranteed job.

We wanted an electrician as we were having a new room built and we could not find an electrician for love nor money.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

26-08-2014, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by shirley ->
Could it be because of all the floods that we had again. I know if was quite a few months ago now. But it does take a while before then can get on with the work and if their insurance is paying for it that is a guaranteed job.

We wanted an electrician as we were having a new room built and we could not find an electrician for love nor money.
Maybe so Shirley
Tess
Midlothian Scotland UK
Tess is female  Tess has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2014, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->

So where are these people who can't find work please send them to me
Did you try ratedpeople.com ? My central heating/hot water packed in on Good Friday I spent the whole day ringing round for a tradesman to fix it with no luck. Then a guy from ratedpeople.com phoned me and offered to come out and see if he could fix it so I wouldn't be without over the holiday weekend. He had been working in Aberdeen that day and had a long drive home to Midlothian but he had looked to see if there were any jobs he could manage that evening to help someone out. My system needed a new part which he had in his van he chatted to me and was very thorough and professional checking everything and explaining everything he was doing. His bill was very reasonable and I now know who to call if I need work in this line again.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top