Join for free
Page 176 of 190 « First < 76 126 166 174 175 176 177 178 186 > Last »
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2020, 10:13 PM

Re: Bob's Bits.

It feels like, everyone has jumped on my Bandwagon, and left a lot of trash in their wake.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2020, 10:18 PM

Furlough has caused a spate of "Space Invaders".
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

04-07-2020, 08:21 AM

OGF, the photo popped up of you Marathon Stats from the 80s & 90s, if it were me, I would have been super narked about getting so close to that sub three hours, really gives perspective to so near and yet so far.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2020, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
OGF, the photo popped up of you Marathon Stats from the 80s & 90s, if it were me, I would have been super narked about getting so close to that sub three hours, really gives perspective to so near and yet so far.
I know what you mean Spitty, 26 seconds doesn't sound a lot; Just an extra second per mile would have done it.... But an extra second a mile would have meant the difference between completion or failure.....Looking at the previous times and those achieved after for the marathon, would suggest that the stars were perfectly aligned on that day (everything went right) to produce my best ever time....Running long distance requires you to ignore everything around you (friends steaming past and pulling faces) and concentrate on the performance of your body. To go the distance on a marathon (or further) is a very fine line.....Too fast and you will never see the finish line, too slow and you take some of your energy home with you....Only on one occasion did I fail to finish a marathon.....Misjudged the heat! Fortunately, I managed to stagger around the half marathon route and still come out with a medal....

Yes it would have been nice to go under three Spitty, but running is the love of my life, and sensible running has meant that I'm still going after all these years when most of my running colleagues have long since hung up their running shoes....Thanks for taking an interest Spitty....
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

04-07-2020, 11:49 AM

It is impressive holding an average of 8.7 miles per hour, unthinkable in fact, I could cover long distances on a cycle, in my early 40s weather permitting I could still cover the 9 miles to work (on a Town/Mountain bike) in 25 minutes. I can still run now should the need arise, its the legs that kop it first now, not the Cardio.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2020, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
It is impressive holding an average of 8.7 miles per hour, unthinkable in fact, I could cover long distances on a cycle, in my early 40s weather permitting I could still cover the 9 miles to work (on a Town/Mountain bike) in 25 minutes. I can still run now should the need arise, its the legs that kop it first now, not the Cardio.
That's good going on the bike Spitty, I used to cycle a lot when I was injured to try and maintain my fitness. I enjoyed it so much, me and a bloke from work did the coast to coast; St Bees Head to Robin Hoods Bay in three days. On the fourth day we were going to take the train home from Scarborough, but it was such a nice day we decided to cycle the 93 miles home....

Tried to post the report but it was too long.....
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

05-07-2020, 12:27 PM

On the infrequent visits to the Doc, to get my BP checked, I always use this as a default, as you know Foxy, of an afternoon, I deliver stuff to predominantly Old Folks, well some of this stuff goes to a tower block, modified especially for the elderly, well I have two clients on the tenth floor, and to monitor my cardio state, I always use the stairs (140 of them). I say to the Doc, as long as I can continue to do this and, hold a normal conversation when at the top, I think I'm ok, the only sign of ageing is the legs get a bit tired at floor nine, but, the heart is still good.
Matchu
Scarborough
Matchu is male  Matchu has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2020, 08:35 PM

Nice write Bob, very evocative.

For me it recalls those Covid mornings when there was nobody else in the world. That was so amazing to see, and to hear. Some nights out walking with the 'disabled guy who only walks out at 3am' we could hear the drains, the bored policemen circling us every hour in their van.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

07-07-2020, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Matchu ->
Nice write Bob, very evocative.

For me it recalls those Covid mornings when there was nobody else in the world. That was so amazing to see, and to hear. Some nights out walking with the 'disabled guy who only walks out at 3am' we could hear the drains, the bored policemen circling us every hour in their van.
Thanks Matchu......
I love Scarborough, we always stay over for the New Year celebrations and first thing on New Year's Day morning I go for a run up and around Oliver's Mount while it's still dark. Daft I know, but I believe that it's essential for a good forthcoming year.....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

07-07-2020, 09:12 PM

I watch a lot of quiz programmes on TV, and I've been feeling sorry for some of the contestants. I think they were filmed in 2019 before the covid outbreak and when asked about hobbies or what they would do with the winnings, they explain the plans they are making for 2020, holidays and such. They have no idea what the future has in store for them.....

I have also been watching 'A New Life In The Sun' where Brits have been setting up new businesses in France and Spain, also recorded last year. I hope that they have managed to weather the covid storm, but it's not been a good start for a new business especially if they needed loans to start trading.

Page 176 of 190 « First < 76 126 166 174 175 176 177 178 186 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top