Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2010, 08:36 PM

Re: School disipline

I should add that the Tawse was not used in primary schools.
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2010, 09:31 AM

Oh that brought back memories! The primary school in Govan I went to, the teacher had a 5 leather hand prong one but the sadistic teacher would use the closed end because it was thicker! She gave it to me once with that end and I had a huge burn blister on my wrist on the underside with it. She never did that again! My Mum went up to the headmaster and she was "carpeted" for it!!! Amazing what the thread of police action did!! That was the only time I got the belt!

They should bring it back though - we respected our teachers then but the kids today don't respect their parents, let alone teachers. UK is far too soft!!

Good link there, Denis Ah what memories!!
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2010, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Brandykins ->
Oh that brought back memories! The primary school in Govan I went to, the teacher had a 5 leather hand prong one but the sadistic teacher would use the closed end because it was thicker! She gave it to me once with that end and I had a huge burn blister on my wrist on the underside with it. She never did that again! My Mum went up to the headmaster and she was "carpeted" for it!!! Amazing what the thread of police action did!! That was the only time I got the belt!

They should bring it back though - we respected our teachers then but the kids today don't respect their parents, let alone teachers. UK is far too soft!!

Good link there, Denis Ah what memories!!
I'm surprised you got belted in primary Rose, they never used it in our area in primaries but as you say some teachers were a bit too eager with it.

That chap in the clip was a brave lad, . . one thing about the Tawse was on cold days it warmed your hands up.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2010, 12:52 PM

Only the headmaster was allowed to cane pupils in my school but if anyone spoke out of turn in class the teacher of that lesson used to whack his cane on the child's desk ...... that was enough to deter any further 'misbehaviour'!

I remember our Geography master had a habit of throwing chalk at pupils caught talking in class..... he was quite a good shot too!
val
Kent UK
val is female  val has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2010, 07:57 AM

We used to have the blackboard rubber thrown at us and one of my sisters was locked in the broom cupboard once. She broke the fire alarm thing. It said on it in case of fire break glass. When they asked her why she did it, she said in case of fire. No wonder I hated school, I'm sure the teachers were all perverts, they didn't seem to love teaching just making sure we behaved.
madmare
Essex UK
madmare is female  madmare has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2010, 12:36 PM

I'm reading this thread with interest as my daughter who is 18 and I were talking about this subject last night and how the youngsters round here could do with some of the punishments we used to have metered out to us.
But nowadays you barely ask them to sit still in case you get sued. All because some do gooders decided it turns children into violent thugs and murderers.
So does this mean all of us on here who suffered these punishments as well as clip round the ear from the man down the road for seeming cheeky even if we weren't are killers and violent maniacs.
Should this forum be renamed The violent ones forum. I think not, as all it taught us was respect for our elders and others, which rarely seems to exist in youngsters these days.
I worked in a primary school and they would start at 4 or 5yrs old and if you asked them nicely to do something most would just swear at you and refuse.
Apparently they were like that in nursery at 3 yrs old.
You've only got to compare the level and types of violence from our years to now and see which method works best.
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2010, 01:07 PM

But nowadays you barely ask them to sit still in case you get sued.

Aye Bonny Lass-there was once unions and bosses and fair bit conflict.

Now the other scum get rich by taking from everyone
val
Kent UK
val is female  val has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2010, 01:08 PM

Sadly it didn't teach me respect, I just had contempt for the teachers that resorted to these methods to teach. I think respect starts in the home, if you don't have it there then by the time you get to school its a much harder, nearly impossible job.Sorry I know its a cliche but I really do blame the parents.
nero
Central Scotland

29-03-2010, 02:53 PM

There were good and bad teachers as in all walks of life, . . we all knew the teachers who belted us and those who did not, . . the ones who did belt us had our undivided attention in class and we learned more, . . the easier going teachers we took advantage of, . . it's in a childs nature to behave like this, . . .they try to take you to the limit all the time if they think they can get away with it, . . . today teachers and the public are paying the price of namby-pamby do-gooders who handcuffed corporal punishment in schools 40 years ago.
jj'sgirl
Kent UK
jj'sgirl is female  jj'sgirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2010, 03:09 PM

The slipper was used in my brothers school but not in ours I went to an all girls school and the worse thing we got was an order mark!!! which was a black mark on your work...

I don't think that I turned out that bad without corporal punishment in my school..mind you I got that at home!!!!!

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top