Join for free
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2019, 08:51 AM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

Who can you trust?

solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2019, 12:54 PM

spitty...looks can be deceiving

Tell you something for nothing our Jem...you fellas once you have had a skin full can leave us wimmin standing at the gateposts when it comes to giving out the catty comments..other than that you'd say nowt to no one...but thinking it is just as bad

I like 'characters'. They add a bit of something out of the ordinary...and there has been a few I have continued to read about on their progress in life...often with amusement and sometimes with sadness. The Spanish Alba being one of them.

I liked her because she was a rebel of the first order at a time when women rebels were frowned upon. She may have ended up looking a fright but anyone no matter who, that looks in a miror, doesn't like what they see and can change things.... good on them and to heck with what the world thinks so long as they are happy and apart from raising a few eyebrows she knew what she was doing getting married again at 85 to a younger man. Fair dos to the groom who gave up all rights to any claim so you like to think they were happy together for all the right reasons.

She was one of the forerunner of eccentric behaviour...now sadly that eccentricity is classed as 'normal'
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2019, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Duchess of Alba, fancy that, getting so wealthy making Radiograms!
Yes, I believe her father was a long time in the Spanish cabinet, he was buried in a varnished walnut job, God be good to him it was quick in the end, but he had a beautiful finish.

You speak of the faithful Monsieur Spitty, de holy bible say.

“God bless the faithful, for when the Faithful family are gathered at the river we shall meet Marianne, and she shall sing to the heavens, as tears go by”

We were talking in the pub at lunchtime today about the old relationship between employer and employee and how it has soured over the years, we even went as far back as the days when rich folks had servants, and that’s not so long ago as history goes, my grandmother was a parlour maid to a politicians family in a mansion in Liverpool when she was young, she made some lifelong friends with the rest of the staff and often said she spent some of the happiest days of her life in that big house.
If for example a wealthy family had a great cook in their employ or a talented gardener they would be the envy of their social class and would treasure that person, the cook would be happy because his/her efforts were appreciated and he/she would be almost one of the family not to mention they’d have all they could eat and drink into the bargain, all the old cooks male and female always looked well fed jolly and contented.

I worked for a Jewish family in the late 60’s, they ran a very popular jewellery shop in the city centre, there was just the engraver and me in the workshop and four girls in the shop, they paid their workers over the odds at the time and they trusted the staff completely, I was even asked out for lunchtime meals with the eldest son and his wife who were in charge of the business, they always treated the staff with respect and courtesy at all times and they closed the shop on Good Fridays to give us (Catholics) the day off, a gesture that no other city firm gave at that time, I was sorry when the old man died and the business was sold, most of the family packed up Ireland and went back to London where they came from originally.
You would give employers like that your full loyalty and best work when you are treated like a real person and not a machine or just a number so everyone benefited and all was well.
Pardon my French but todays employees are treated like shit, they are just a digit that can be added or taken away at a stroke, sad to see all that our working forefathers suffered to gain is all gone down the drain, I’m glad I had the chance to live at a time when folks could be proud of their work and most of us had good caring decent bosses.

spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2019, 11:07 PM

Did Princess Alba fit the Stereotype?
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2019, 07:20 PM

A smile for Wednesday.

Whilst doing some file clearing I found this from a few years back.

i know it can't have been funny for the chaos it must have caused but I did so cheer those Llamas on

Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2019, 09:45 PM

I enjoyed that clip Solo, they were given a good run for their money, sort of reminded me of the old Keystone Cops, the old lasso came to the rescue in the end.

Quote Spitfire:
“Did Princess Alba fit the Stereotype?”

Sadly no, she was very hard to please, when hubby number two came along the poor chap couldn’t get a tune out of her and was given the order of the boot.
Strictly off the record, rumour has it his shifting arm tried to grab her 45’s and she got the needle.

How about Countess Elizabeth Bathory, she was right up there with Vlad the Impaler, no modern day serial killer has come near her for body count, 650 innocent victims, she’s even in the Guinness book of records.
“According to the testimonies, Báthory's initial victims were serving girls aged 10 to 14 years, the daughters of local peasants, many of whom were lured to Čachtice by offers of well paid work as maids and servants in the castle. Later, she is said to have begun to kill daughters of the lesser gentry, who were sent to her gynaeceum by their parents to learn courtly etiquette. Abductions were said to have occurred as well. The atrocities described most consistently included severe beatings, burning or mutilation of hands, biting the flesh off the faces, arms and other body parts, freezing or starving to death. The use of needles was also mentioned by the collaborators in court. There were many suspected forms of torture carried out by Elizabeth. According to the Budapest City Archives, the girls were burned with hot tongs and then placed in freezing cold water. They were also covered in honey and live ants, Elizabeth is also suspected of cannibalism”

Looking at her in this painting you’d think butter wouldn’t melt in her mouth.
I believe there is a light up model of her castle on sale in a Hungarian museum, Bathory’s not included. Boom boom!

solo
UK

05-12-2019, 12:31 PM

Poor Elizabeth Bathory..a very wealthy powerful women in a mans world who were all lusting after her money and estates. So what can they do!!!

I know.. accuse her of murder, torture and any other nefearious misdeed that can be thought up at a time in history when just sneezing was thought to be the devils work.

Politically motivated slander did for her then as it does now....if you are not careful.

Watching some TV last night and seeing some of the awful childrens Christmas toys on sale with there over the top prices just leaves you dumfounded. For instance 60 quid for a small fluffy thing which you can (oh be joyful) cuddle and play with and thankfully comes in 3 marvellous shades but as usual batteries are not included. 60 QUID.....60 quid would have bought our old street Christmas presents for every kid with money left over for a box of crackers.

We played with our gifts for as long as they held our attention which wasn't very long especially if your friends knocked to show you their new bike or skates and were willing to let you have a go.

And lets be honest the box and wrappings these gifts came in were always far more interesting as you could make things out of them...that's if you weren't too busy playing with your friends christmas gifts
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

05-12-2019, 08:47 PM

I don’t want to sound like the little boy that Santa Claus forgot, but no doubt I will.
I have to mention the present the miserable old git left me on Christmas Day in 1952 when I was seven.
It was a second hand stamp album with about 30 stamps on different pages in it, the original owners name had been crossed out on the inside cover and mine placed over the erased name.
There’s not a lot a boy of seven can do with a second hand stamp album is there? You can’t play with it for a start, can’t ride it like a tricycle, hop it like a football, and you certainly can’t eat it.
Years later I discovered it had been in a box of food and other stuff the local nuns had given my mother just before Christmas, I think me older brother got the best thing in the box, a yoyo with no string, at least you could get your own string to fix it and play all day with the thing.
The nuns didn’t get much themselves by way of donations in our area, but with what they got they did their best for the poor back then.
We were living on the TB sick allowance at the time, I think it was about four pounds ten shillings a week for the sick father, his wife and five kids.
Christmas time was very stressful for mothers in those years after the war, certain things were still rationed, I remember the little blue ration books too, I’m sure it’s stressful for many folks today the way things are going.
Anyway back to the stamps, I had a stroke of luck, one of my street pals had a father who was an avid stamp collector and there were a few in my album that he hadn’t got so I flogged him the album for ten bob, gave the mother 7/6 and enjoyed spending the remaining half dollar on the pictures and sweets, all’s well that ends well.

And now get your hankies out for this old tearjerker..

spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

05-12-2019, 11:20 PM

Jem, would Tipp-Ex have made a young fellows expectations any easier?
solo
UK

06-12-2019, 11:18 AM

Good old Tipp ex that covered a multitude of typing errors. Tippen (German.. to type) and Ex (Latin...No more)... Now who'd have thought of that for a brand name !!!

I like single Mum Bette Nesmith story who invented Mistake out..then Liquid Paper which meant that her son Monkee Mike Nesmith gorra a load of money when she departed this life.

Whatever the stuff was called it became evil though if you got any on you or your clothes you then carried the Marks of Shame plus everybody knew you were a cack handed typist.

https://www.thoughtco.com/liquid-pap...graham-1992092

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top