Join for free
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2016, 11:31 PM

Computer beats Human at Go

The news has been awash this past week about the news that a computer has beaten the world champ at the Chinese game of "Go" winning 3-1.

The world champ was said to be stunned and shaken at the result.

I can't help but analyse this situation and come to the conclusion that what's really happening here is two opponents are playing a game and one is cheating.

I would say the same about the so-called great chess computers.

I reason thus.

The computer is programmed logically with the rules and the permissible move of the pieces. It is also programmed to look at all the possible moves that are possible from any given board situation.

Thus a chess computer for example can be given the board situation at any stage of any game and subsequently evaluate all the possible future moves and then select the best one.

When you analyse this you realise that the computer is not really "thinking" at all. It is simply processing large amounts of data which it stores away in it memory which it can draw on at any time.

The human likewise processes and draws on memory of past games and past positions, however, the human does not have the same memory capacity as the machine.

This then is simply the equivalent of cheating. It is no better than a healthy 2-legged man challenging a 1-legged man to a race. What would be the point? What would it prove?

Equally Michael Shumacher with his F1 car could challenge Joe Bloggs with his Ford Mondeo to a race but again what would be the point? The race would effectively be rigged from the start with Michael having vastly superior equipment.

Similarly then a man with fantastic memory challenging a man with alzheimers is an exercise in futility. It's not a fair and level playing field so it's pointless.

So what then is the point of pitting a computer with vast memory capacity against a human with far less capacity?

What does it prove?

I will say this. It does not prove the computer is in any sense intelligent. It just has a big memory. Big deal !
eyes_of_a_painter
n
eyes_of_a_painter is male  eyes_of_a_painter has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2016, 12:40 AM

Re: Computer beats Human at Go

Oh its a big deal alright, my brother ! Computers may not have a consciousness, but their capacity to store facts, figures and analysis surpasses man. Thus, computers go now from landing planes, controling the electrical grids of entire nation and are basically hidden in all aspects in todays modern society.

This simple exercise of man versus the computers, simply shows to prove the importance of computers over men and how computers will continue to influence us in the future as they have influenced us in the past.

Ancient sailors used computers to calculate star locations and thus help them define their ultimate destiny. Below is a picture of an ancient computer found at the bottom of the ocean.

Computers are an old technology being reborn in todays so called modern society...

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2016-03-14-19-47-59-1.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	499  
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2016, 04:07 AM

I don't know why anyone is surprised at the result my computer beats me at everything except Noughts and Crosses.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2016, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
The news has been awash this past week about the news that a computer has beaten the world champ at the Chinese game of "Go" winning 3-1.

The world champ was said to be stunned and shaken at the result.

I can't help but analyse this situation and come to the conclusion that what's really happening here is two opponents are playing a game and one is cheating.

I would say the same about the so-called great chess computers.

I reason thus.

The computer is programmed logically with the rules and the permissible move of the pieces. It is also programmed to look at all the possible moves that are possible from any given board situation.

Thus a chess computer for example can be given the board situation at any stage of any game and subsequently evaluate all the possible future moves and then select the best one.

When you analyse this you realise that the computer is not really "thinking" at all. It is simply processing large amounts of data which it stores away in it memory which it can draw on at any time.

The human likewise processes and draws on memory of past games and past positions, however, the human does not have the same memory capacity as the machine.

This then is simply the equivalent of cheating. It is no better than a healthy 2-legged man challenging a 1-legged man to a race. What would be the point? What would it prove?

Equally Michael Shumacher with his F1 car could challenge Joe Bloggs with his Ford Mondeo to a race but again what would be the point? The race would effectively be rigged from the start with Michael having vastly superior equipment.

Similarly then a man with fantastic memory challenging a man with alzheimers is an exercise in futility. It's not a fair and level playing field so it's pointless.

So what then is the point of pitting a computer with vast memory capacity against a human with far less capacity?

What does it prove?

I will say this. It does not prove the computer is in any sense intelligent. It just has a big memory. Big deal !
Exactly!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2016, 12:17 PM

Hi

When it comes to computing power and data storage there is nothing in this world to match the female Brain.

Get into an argument with the lady in your life and just as you think that you may have a chance of winning they will recall something you said three years ago, word perfect and use it to win said argument.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2016, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

When it comes to computing power and data storage there is nothing in this world to match the female Brain.

Get into an argument with the lady in your life and just as you think that you may have a chance of winning they will recall something you said three years ago, word perfect and use it to win said argument.
How true.......

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top