Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
GillyT
Nottingham, England
GillyT is female  GillyT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2016, 12:35 AM

Re: Since 2010 sinkholes are on the increase - why?

It does make me even more concerned about 'fracking' and the after effects that are bound to occur - like we need more problems, more holes dug ! Why they don't concentrate on tidal power I really don't know. They could also make more use of our rivers with hydro-electric power !

I don't understand why the powers that be don't put their efforts into minimising these natural catastrophes !

It would be interesting to see what reactions occurred should there be a sink hole suddenly happen outside No.10 !
I expect 'call me dave' would blame the the Corbynites.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2016, 09:54 AM

Very Interesting topic Gilly.
I don't think there are more occurrences of sinkholes these days, it's just that there are more people with cameras and image capturing equipment now.
Also, the earth is a constantly changing world and nature will continue to throw us a curved ball every now and then. We only fool ourselves if we think we can influence progression of this planet and any one who says different is probably making some money out of it.

Apart from the recovery of earths assets by man (which happens on a very small scale) I believe many sinkholes are the result of clay drying out. Clay that has been deposited upon limestone that has, over time been eroded away by the action of underground water. While the clay stays moist it will present a firm bridge over the gaps in the limestone, but as the clay dries out it becomes brittle and cracked, eventually it will give way and drop into an enormous cavern left by the receding limestone.

Keep up the good topics Gilly, you are one of those who thinks 'Outside the box'.
senile1
Virginia,USA
senile1 is male  senile1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2016, 03:40 AM

Sinkholes are common where the rock below the land surface is limestone or other carbonate rock, salt beds, or other rocks that can naturally be dissolved by circulating ground water. Wikipedia

Explore: Limestone, Groundwater
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinkhole

Excessive rain will serve to accelerate how much and how fast these minerals are dissolved, allowing for more frequent sink holes during heavy rain falls.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top