Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2016, 09:55 PM

Yellow Peril

Does this stuff upset you? It gives me hayfever, headaches etc. I'm surrounded by it at the moment, in practically every field! Smells like old ladies knickers too!
I just wonder if it can upset our breathing does it upset our tums? Is it good for us?
Also is so much of it upsetting the insects, in particular the bees?
Who thought of calling it that odd name, oil seed rape?
(Why would anyone call a flowering plant "Rape"?)

Looks pretty though!

Click image for larger version

Name:	13096278_617673731730505_5652857695332497572_n (1).jpg
Views:	113
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	933

Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2016, 10:08 PM

Re: Yellow Peril

OSR makes me sneeze , it seems to be in flower early this year.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2016, 10:09 PM

Yes it is Meg! I've never seen so much of it locally either!

Bloomin' stuff!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2016, 10:15 PM

As well as upsetting some humans, it can also be toxic to some wildlife (deer and I think rabbits), as well as domestic dogs.
Keep your dogs well away from the stuff.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK

04-05-2016, 10:18 PM

Oh gosh! Nowhere else safe to walk my dog and it's on the most used footpath for dog walking!
I saw three deer and some rabbits in it too!
Of course by the time I got my phone out to snap 'em they'd vanished!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2016, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Oh gosh! Nowhere else safe to walk my dog and it's on the most used footpath for dog walking!
I saw three deer and some rabbits in it too!
Of course by the time I got my phone out to snap 'em they'd vanished!

Google it to check first Tess, but I'm pretty sure I remember reading about it being nasty stuff for them to inhale. When you think about it, their faces are right in it too, at least we are taller than it.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

04-05-2016, 11:59 PM

Just found a couple of little bits Tess:

"Rape (dogs that ingest Rape can go blind, can harm the nervous system, stomach disorders, respiratory problems)"

And this was posted on the net too:

"On Friday evening whilst out on a walk, Jake chased some rabbits into a field of Rape Seed Oil, he spent quite some time chasing them around and crying with delight !! When he emerged, to my total dismay, the Rape had totally skinned his eyes and the top of his ears - no fur and extremely sore broken skin. He is feeling very sorry for himself and looks a total mess.

In all the years I have free run my Beagles this has never happened before and I was totally unaware that these Rape fields could cause so much damage".
TessA
Official Poinker
UK

05-05-2016, 12:10 AM

Oh dear, thanks Mups! I'll warn other dog owners, we'll have walk along the road instead, no pavement so it's dodgy!
It's very tall now about waist height, we've got hogweed on the other side of that path too!
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2016, 01:27 AM

Wifey is allergic to Australia's national golden wattle.
Most unpatriotic.

And there's a bit of it in the back paddock too.
Sniffle sniffle grizzle grizzle sneeze sneeze ......
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2016, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Does this stuff upset you? It gives me hayfever, headaches etc. I'm surrounded by it at the moment, in practically every field! Smells like old ladies knickers too!
I just wonder if it can upset our breathing does it upset our tums? Is it good for us?
Also is so much of it upsetting the insects, in particular the bees?
Who thought of calling it that odd name, oil seed rape?
(Why would anyone call a flowering plant "Rape"?)

Looks pretty though!

[]
You have pt me right off my cocoa.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top