Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
mrmojorisin
Tangy Town, UK
mrmojorisin is male  mrmojorisin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2010, 09:20 AM

Re: Electric toothbrush.

mrmojo uses an ancient tried and proved method I once found in a dusty old medieval text on Alchemy. It's a paste made from soot mixed with Spirits of Salt and applied with the index finger...rinse the mouth out finally with vinegar. I swears by it I does! Sod all yer fancy gizmos!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2010, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by mrmojorisin ->
mrmojo uses an ancient tried and proved method I once found in a dusty old medieval text on Alchemy. It's a paste made from soot mixed with Spirits of Salt and applied with the index finger...rinse the mouth out finally with vinegar. I swears by it I does! Sod all yer fancy gizmos!
That takes me back MrM ..... I remember when I was a child, being given soot to clean my teeth with, I think it may have been because we couldn't afford the luxury of toothpaste at the time!
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2010, 08:01 PM

We sometimes used baking soda when I was a child; my Mom was a nurse and said it was good for the teeth, not too abrasive and got the really clean.
mrmojorisin
Tangy Town, UK
mrmojorisin is male  mrmojorisin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2010, 07:35 AM

You may have guessed that I don't really use soot. But, believe it or not, an old freind of mine who, in years gone by, was a mad macrobiotic hippy vegan who actually did this and swore by it and her inscissors were perfect. She also never washed her hair, ever, instead she brushed it through with a big heavy brush and used fullers earth as the cleaning agent. The fullers earth was bought in a pet shop as "cat litter" !!!!! LoL.
Again her hair was a picture of health !!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2010, 10:04 AM

The soot blackened your gums, hence giving your teeth a sparkling white appearance!
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2010, 04:30 PM

I heard about the soot too, but Mrmojo's friend with the lovely hair might be on to something good. My Brother in law never used shampoo in his life, only soap and water, all the other Brothers (3) in his family are bald except him!. He now has two grown up Sons and they have fine heads of hair and he would not let them use shampoo when they were younger. I cant help noticing how many of our young Men are going prematurely bald nowadays, especially footballers.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2010, 04:37 PM

I remember using something as a teen called dry shampoo, it was a sort of fine brownish powder that you shook into your hair and then brushed vigorously to remove grease and dirt, I didn't like it much, only used it till the bottle was finished.
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2010, 05:19 PM

I clearly had a deprived childhood-all I seem to remember is the district nurse showing us how to hold it(the brush) and then the wrist action.

What great advice-and how to hold it and my wrist action served me well-from cricket as a bowler to many other adventures
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2010, 08:27 PM

You're lucky you learned your wrist action from a nurse when you were young OG, I believe they have an automatic ball thrower they use in practice with batsmen, is that true?.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA

26-07-2010, 04:34 PM

I don't know about cricket, but we do have that in baseball here.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top