Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2010, 03:30 PM

A little blackbird

Lives in my garden-he cannot fly(his wing could be damaged)

But he hops around and I make sure there is food at ground level,he can make it to the pond for a wash.

He has been around for a couple of weeks now and I gues he will get caught or not get through the winter. But I have come to admire him.

I`m not going to `rescue` him-there is a line I stop at but I am humbled to see him getting by.
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2010, 04:37 PM

Re: A little blackbird

I wonder what the average life-span is, for a blackbird? It can't be a lot, can it? If all the eggs hatched grew up into adult birds we'd be knee-deep.
Knowing that still doesn't make me feel any happier about the cat catching them though
Good luck to yours.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2010, 06:09 PM

OG, I could not leave any of Gods creatures that are injured without trying to help them get better. We are all Gods creatures and should help each other out when they are in need.

I have saved many Birds that have been injured and find it very rewarding when they recover and fly off to a new future.
The RSPCB tend to bring them back to their point of capture so that they are back in familar territory.

God help your Blackbird to recover.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2010, 06:11 PM

Good luck to the little blackbird, I hope it remains safe.

Is it able to hop or flutter up to a higher vantage point, OG?
PPHammer
Yorkshire, UK
PPHammer is male  PPHammer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2010, 08:31 PM

My dad rescued a magpie chick tangled up in a thorn bush when we were kids. It became part of the family, it lived in the garden shed and we would let him out in the morning. He would fly around all day and even come into the house. He sometimes followed us to school. At night we would call him and he would come swooping down and back into the shed. He was best friends with our rabbit and our labrador. We called him Jimmy (the dog was Simon and the rabbit was Titch).

Happy days.

(never did know if he was a boy or a girl).

Good luck to your little blackbird.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2010, 08:32 PM

Poor little guy. I too doubt if he'll make it, but at least he has food and water with you now and a lovely garden to stay in. I'm surprised Cleo or the visiting cat haven't caught him ......
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2010, 10:27 PM

I would be tempted to help him - even if that's taking it to a rescue centre.

Wish him lots of luck
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2010, 10:23 AM

The RSPB would be able to help you, if you have a reserve near you, I am sure. I do hope it survives. It is good that you are feeding it and it has water to drink. They have a lifespan of 3-4 years. They are quite intelligent as well!!

Take care.
mrmojorisin
Tangy Town, UK
mrmojorisin is male  mrmojorisin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2010, 10:50 AM

We've got a blackbird in our garden who I've named Roger. He can easily be identified by a distinctive mark on his wing. He follows me around whilst gardening and picks up worms that I uncover. He's been around for about 3 years now.

We also have a crows nest in our ash tree with two young uns who we named Russell and Sheryl. Russell, at least I think it was Russell, got into our greenhouse recently. It was a hellova job to get him out. Russell's not so bright as far as birds go !
suey
Shropshire
suey is female  suey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2010, 02:14 PM

We used to have a female Blackbird that used our garden who we called one foot as she was missing her right foot only had a stump at the bottom of her leg she was around for about 4 years and it was wonderful to watch her with her young and she lived a really normal life...She nested in our conifers...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top