Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2019, 07:39 PM

Re: Who remembers the 'bomb' shelters?

A fair few houses round here still have their Anderson Shelters in use as garden sheds.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2019, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
Other than pictures of those I have never seen them for real. Just as well probably that the dangers were not mentioned or there would have been some very frightened kids!

I guess the Underground stations must have been the safest places. There must have been thousands of people using those during the air raids on London and the suburbs!
When, as a child, you were in there listening to the bombs dropping, it was all very loud & scary.

I remember, one time, the bangs seemed to be getting closer and we were just hoping it would soon end.

The next day we were told that most of the bombs had fallen on Hull, 16-20 miles away, strange how they sounded so close.

Hull was one one the worst hit cities in the country, I heard later.

Anyway, there was a BBC web page about experiences during the war - might look see if it's still there.
We sent input to it.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2019, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
Thanks Baz . Tragic reading . How on earth did people cope .
That's OK you are welcome. I think they cope as there's no alternative, they just got on with it.
basser
Chatterbox
ENGLAND
basser is male  basser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2019, 10:53 PM

we moved into our prefab 25 years (circa 1963 ish ) after they were built we had a bomb shelter with a corrugated roof and brick ends, our's was used for keeping the coal in and the Rabbit hutch was bolted to the brick end.

BTW they were assembled by German POW's who were imprisoned a few miles away.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2019, 12:20 AM

I have one on my back garden now. Brick built with a thick roof made of concrete (I think) Just house mice, a few spiders and the occasional bird in the summer months.
bloggsy
Hampshire
bloggsy is male  bloggsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2019, 02:35 PM

We had one in our back garden after WW2 and it was our coal shed.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2019, 01:30 AM

My grandmother's house in Cheltenham had a dip in the middle of the back lawn where by father and uncle dug a hole to build the Anderson Shelter, after the war it was taken down and the hole filled in. I presume the hole was badly filled in because the dip remained for the whole of my childhood.

The front wall of the same house also had holes in the capping where the railings used to be which were also sacrificed for the war effort (I read somewhere that in fact they were actually dumped in the North Sea but don't know if that is true)

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	110608 034 Ewlyn Road.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	11170  
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2019, 10:06 AM

Yes, Metal railings were taken away to be used for building tanks, etc.

Not many bothered to replace them after the war.

Needs must!

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top