Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2019, 06:02 PM

Re: Niki Lauda R.I.P.

I remember the day it happened, so many people were saddened and really shocked.
I think he was great how he overcame his terrible injuries. I don’t think he was ever bitter. When he appeared on talkshows on television, he always came over as a really nice man.

I suppose he was lucky to survive as there seemed to be a spat of racing drivers killed in that era. James Hunt, Peter Revson and Ayrton Senna.

Rest In Peace.. Nicki Lauda
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2019, 06:43 PM

Well art, as a die hard f1 fan I must admit I’d never heard of peter revson, he was killed in 1974 during a test session at kylami in South Africa, senna died in 94 at imola, and James hunt died of a heart attack long after he quit racing, but yes, a lot of drivers were killed in the seventies, Jackie Stewart likened it to being a spitfire pilot in the war...
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2019, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
Well art, as a die hard f1 fan I must admit I’d never heard of peter revson, he was killed in 1974 during a test session at kylami in South Africa, senna died in 94 at imola, and James hunt died of a heart attack long after he quit racing, but yes, a lot of drivers were killed in the seventies, Jackie Stewart likened it to being a spitfire pilot in the war...
Primus, Thanks for the correction on James Hunt. Of course you’re right, he wasn’t killed in action!

Peter Revson was the heir to the Revlon Cosmetics fortunes.
Has there ever been a ‘poor’ F1 racing driver?
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2019, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Primus, Thanks for the correction on James Hunt. Of course you’re right, he wasn’t killed in action!

A lot of them start off in karting and work their way up. I know Lewis Hamilton's dad worked three jobs at the same time so he could fund his son's early karting career.
Like footballers, they then get noticed by teams and sponsors and are signed up.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2019, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->

Hard to say art, many great drivers don’t get the opportunities to drive a good car, there’s lots in f1 now that are just as good as Lewis Hamilton but don’t get the drive, Esteban Ocon is widely regarded as a very good driver but isn’t even in f1 this year, of course many drivers have an excellent teammate who is the one to beat,
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2019, 09:21 PM

I don't really know much about Niki Lauder but I have heard of him. I'm always sorry to hear someone has died though, his friends, family and fans will be so upset. RIP to the man.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2019, 10:03 PM

I met three of them, James Hunt, Niki Lauda and lesser known Swedish driver Ronnie Peterson.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

21-05-2019, 10:43 PM

I was only made aware of Niki Lauda by my ex husband because he thought, Niki Lauda was the greatest.
Maybe, if l hadn’t been aware of him, l would have, had the same opinion as Muddy.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2019, 11:01 PM

So sad to hear this on the news.
RIP Niki Lauda.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2019, 07:01 PM

Mod edit: Please respect this thread.

Some posts have been removed.

Thank you.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top