Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2019, 11:19 PM

I can retire

Had a guy come round tonight from the pru...apparently we can afford to retire,with enough money to live on until we get our state pension...I can’t believe it..me ...retire...it hasn’t sunk in yet. I’d love to retire..maybe semi retire, I just don’t know..??
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2019, 11:22 PM

Re: I can retire

Don't do it, keep on keeping is my advice, but what the heck, who knows.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2019, 11:27 PM

If you like your current occupation then carry on - if you don't then retire and do something else - even doing nothing is better than doing a job you hate .....
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2019, 11:45 PM

Go Primus!! I took early retirement - and never regretted it.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2019, 11:47 PM

Have you seen on TV these scrounging companies that give you money against the house when you die ( equity release they call it). You work all your life to get a house and possibly leave it to a relative, and these vultures hover about for easy pickings.

No way would I even let a rep through my front door.

Retirement for us means we can do what we want when we want and go where we want, finances permitting. Wish I retired when I started working

On thing is really a must is to have a hobby ready to take up and get anything needed while working. I returned to photography after a long time not doing it
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2019, 11:55 PM

Excellent news Primus, if you've got plenty of hobbies and/or interests it will be the best thing you'll ever do.....but if you get bored easily then keep working in some kind of capacity....

If you are healthy, fit and well, you are lucky to have reached retirement with plenty of life left, use your time wisely and make Mrs Primus happy.....
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2019, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Have you seen on TV these scrounging companies that give you money against the house when you die ( equity release they call it). You work all your life to get a house and possibly leave it to a relative, and these vultures hover about for easy pickings.

No way would I even let a rep through my front door.

One of my friend's did this a while back.
I was quite concerned about her at the time, and her reasons for doing it. Everybody's situation is different though.

Maybe it could be useful for a couple - or a single person, who had no family to leave their estate to, but lacked funds to enjoy their last few years.

Maybe doing an equity release to have enough cash not to have to worry about winter bills, food, running the car, having a few nice holidays etc, would suit them very well.
I imagine in that situation it might work quite well.

What happens to a property if there is no one to inherit it, anyone know?

Regarding Primus's pending retirement, I would say maybe see if you could cut your hours first, see how that goes, before you burn your bridges.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2019, 12:10 AM

people that die intestate, ( not leaving a will) the government has the estate that is left until someone makes a claim. As for the house I suspect it would be sold and the money from it also would go into the deceased estate.

If the amount left is worth a bit then companies that do family tracing will
find out those entitled to inherite , even those only remote relatives
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2019, 12:12 AM

Can I be so rude as to ask your age Primus?

To me...
That'll make the difference...eventually..
I won't be teaching past 57 I hope
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2019, 12:12 AM

Folks have to do something, now all the factories have gone.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top