Join for free
Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2019, 09:39 PM

Re: Which childhood book made you look at life differently?

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe series. I can still remember the emotions of reading it. Beautifully written.
marmaduke
uk ( Cheshire)
marmaduke is male  marmaduke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2019, 09:47 PM

As a child I enjoyed reading , as an adult my happiest times were bedside reading with my kids , what should take 5 minutes to put the kids to bed would become an hour long affair of reading a book , any book , everyone taking turns at a page each and this thread brought those memories back
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2019, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by marmaduke ->
As a child I enjoyed reading , as an adult my happiest times were bedside reading with my kids , what should take 5 minutes to put the kids to bed would become an hour long affair of reading a book , any book , everyone taking turns at a page each and this thread brought those memories back
Same here. After reading my grandkids the same favourite story every time they stopped with us, they got to know it word for word and woe betide if you tried to miss a few paragraphs or pages. They knew, and made me go back and read the story properly.

Happy days, sadly gone forever.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2019, 11:29 PM

I loved Anna Sewell's 'Black Beauty' when I was a kid.
Read it over and over.

I can still recall how it began . . "The first place I can well remember was a large meadow with a pond of clear water in it. Rushes and water lilies grew at the deep end."
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2019, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Same here. After reading my grandkids the same favourite story every time they stopped with us, they got to know it word for word and woe betide if you tried to miss a few paragraphs or pages. They knew, and made me go back and read the story properly.

Happy days, sadly gone forever.

Yes! Ain't that the truth! I was always torn between oh bugga, I'm desperate to relax and trying to stifle giggles that she was so on the ball when I thought she was drifting off

I admit I really enjoyed reading to The Child. Like you say, all sadly gone.

For myself, I used to read and read and go back to reading Grimm's Fairy Tales even when I blossomed into adulthood. I've still got that book. SO well worn.

Now don't laugh, but when I was really small I loved looking at one of the cookbooks - the icing on the cakes and intricacies of them and the colours - I thought were wonderful. Time and again I'd get that book out. Anyone would think I had an interesting in baking
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2019, 09:13 AM

Same here with my Grandkids....Danny is 6 now and he loves David Walliams books.

Gangsta Granny is a favourite but at the moment working through Bad Dad he is so funny though when it comes to sad bits especially in Gangsta Granny which he has read several times he warns me and reminds me it's just a story Grandma....so don't get upset.

They are longer books and I have to negotiate how many chapters I read beforehand but he always renagues on the deal and insists on just one more chapter.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2019, 11:38 AM

My reading books as a child were many and varied; the usual Beano and Dandy annuals for Christmas, Black Beauty, Robinson Crusoe, one entitled The Kon-Tiki Expedition I recall was fascinating. The one that most sticks in my mind though was Aesop's Fables, apparently there are over 700 of these fables. My grandfather had a copy of that book which I used to read whenever visiting, which was often.

http://www.taleswithmorals.com

I was once informed that I seem to have a very heightened sense of injustice and general morality, perhaps this book is where that trait originated?
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2019, 11:34 AM

I can remember reading as a 4 year old. Peter Pan always stuck me as the first book I ever read. I also read Aesops fables.
vinylman65
east coast-u.s.a.
vinylman65 is male  vinylman65 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2019, 11:59 PM

Fun With Dick An Jane?
Devo
SW UK
Devo is male  Devo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2019, 07:16 PM

When I was quite young my grandmother had an obscure Victorian weepie called Froggy's Little Brother by Brenda, the pseudonym for a minor member of the aristocracy, I believe. I must have read it several times and I reckon the utter injustice it described was what started me in a very Left of centre direction that has persisted to this day.

Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top