Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2019, 03:42 PM

Re: Jamie Oliver's Restaurants close.

It's not good business sense to dip into your personal pot to prop up a failing venture. People are simply not going out as much to spend money on faddy restaurants. They sit home and get fat on deliveroo take outs.
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2019, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
It's not good business sense to dip into your personal pot to prop up a failing venture. People are simply not going out as much to spend money on faddy restaurants. They sit home and get fat on deliveroo take outs.
I think that's right.
The celebrity chef thing has just become a bit too faddy for current tastes and if the prices are high, that just escalates the death knell of this sort of restaurant.

Maybe he should have just scaled back the whole thing first, but hey! what do I know?

I reckon that a lot of its early success was novelty value trading on the name, but that can't be sustained when the name starts to fade a bit.

Maybe the restaurant chain just got too big, so became unsustainable?
Cache
East Anglia
Cache is female  Cache has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2019, 07:30 PM

Overpriced bad food from the one time I went there, plus a very long wait. I'm not surprised. It felt like a fast food restaurant pretending to be upmarket.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2019, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Cache ->
Overpriced bad food from the one time I went there, plus a very long wait. I'm not surprised. It felt like a fast food restaurant pretending to be upmarket.
There have been reports of ready-made food being bought in from suppliers, then sold as though it was made at the restaurant.
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2019, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
There have been reports of ready-made food being bought in from suppliers, then sold as though it was made at the restaurant.
That's not good.
Cache
East Anglia
Cache is female  Cache has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2019, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
That wouldn't surprise me.
The only decent starter I remember was something I have regularly at home, mixed smoked meat, with olives and garlic bread, so I didn't have. I honestly couldn't understand why everyone else enjoyed something so ordinary.
Then the lobster main...I got served 1/2 a lobster for much more than it was worth. It got sent back as was totally inedible.
I didn't stay for dessert.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2019, 08:11 PM

I always think that any of these restaurant chains are only as good as the chef in charge, nothing to do with Oliver really, only in name.
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2019, 08:45 PM

All these fancy Restaurants owned by Celebrity Showman Chefs, most of whom can't cook, and sell mediocre food, are frequented by Big Knobs, with more money than sense.

Of course, they have overheads but many have a profit Mark Up of 500%, and they pay there staff minimum wages too.

It is the staff that lose out if they close down.

And if you saw their unhygienic kitchens you would not eat any of their food.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2019, 09:01 PM

"Man sized" and now " big knobs"!
Good grief I need a lie down!

I think (hope) the cookery programs on TV will die out if the celebrity chefs become less popular. You can't move for them, especially at weekends!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2019, 10:12 PM

They had some bad reviews too. Along with British steel this is not new news. He had problems reported last year. The whole artisan food business is going to fold. Forget avocado on toast and welcome back to beans on toast. All the designer boom will fold. I predict brands such as Mulberry, Hermes, etc are going to be in trouble soon. Even high street catering names such as Pret, Nero, maybe costa could go.

The billionaires won't be staying around in the UK the way things are going. As the money haemorrhages so do the high street names that we think are solid. Nothing is safe. M&S foods has just reported a warning. We could end up with ghost towns at this rate.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top