Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2009, 09:29 PM

Re: Need more profile questions!

I have no objection to the questions. If there was one I didn't want to answer I'd just leave it blank.
AlH
New Member!
South Wales
AlH is female 

11-12-2009, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Azz ->
It just to fill out the profiles AlH, they look a bit bare otherwise Plus they're a bit of fun - it's nice to know what other members think/like. And all questions are optional (I should probably add that somewhere )
Yes, perhaps an idea to point that out, along with how the profiles are just for fun, and not some sinister, psychological profiling purpose, or to enable the Goodle AdSense Spider spook to target them towards any kinky websites, or shady insurance companies or suppliers of... well, never mind. (I am getting a bit fed up of being offered second hand car deals, for a start!)

How about asking things like 'What's your favourite holiday destination?' or 'Who is your favourite comedian?' (Of course, to a trained eye, answers to those questions can be very revealling.)

Mind you, Azz, your motivation to add profile questions might genuinely be for the reasons stated, but can the same be said for all who might read those?

And another thing, would those completing the questions do so honestly - even if they might do so truthfully - and yes, there is a difference! E.g. It is true that I drive a Mercedes Benz - but it is honest to add that it will be 20 years old next February, and was bought cheaply out of a farmyard a few years ago, and where it had spent the previous four years doing little more than move stored caravans around; hadn't been cleaned in years; stank of 'farmyard' and its white paintwork was covered in green stuff that resembled algae - and it hasn't changed much since I got it, either. (So there, now the member who wanted to be my friend because I drive what I drive, knows the HONEST truth!) Oh, and just because it is a 7 seater, doesn't mean seven people could travel luxury limo-style inside it! (Or would even wish to travel in it at all!) Apart from my old dog, its last passenger was an excaped ferret that used the passenger footwell as a latrine, and refused to exit the vehicle for a full 24 hours.

Now, are you quite sure that you STILL wish to be my friend?

Perhaps, Azz, it might be an idea to ask what qualities a member looks for in a friend?

Oh, and if you must know who my favourite comedian is - and cannot guess - I will give you a clue or two. It's that wonderful Scot's fellow with the long hair and purple beard, who rides a trike and punctuates many a sentence with the 'F' word.
buzzie
USA
buzzie is female  buzzie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2009, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by AlH ->
Yes, perhaps an idea to point that out, along with how the profiles are just for fun, and not some sinister, psychological profiling purpose, or to enable the Goodle AdSense Spider spook to target them towards any kinky websites, or shady insurance companies or suppliers of... well, never mind. (I am getting a bit fed up of being offered second hand car deals, for a start!)

How about asking things like 'What's your favourite holiday destination?' or 'Who is your favourite comedian?' (Of course, to a trained eye, answers to those questions can be very revealling.)

Mind you, Azz, your motivation to add profile questions might genuinely be for the reasons stated, but can the same be said for all who might read those?

And another thing, would those completing the questions do so honestly - even if they might do so truthfully - and yes, there is a difference! E.g. It is true that I drive a Mercedes Benz - but it is honest to add that it will be 20 years old next February, and was bought cheaply out of a farmyard a few years ago, and where it had spent the previous four years doing little more than move stored caravans around; hadn't been cleaned in years; stank of 'farmyard' and its white paintwork was covered in green stuff that resembled algae - and it hasn't changed much since I got it, either. (So there, now the member who wanted to be my friend because I drive what I drive, knows the HONEST truth!) Oh, and just because it is a 7 seater, doesn't mean seven people could travel luxury limo-style inside it! (Or would even wish to travel in it at all!) Apart from my old dog, its last passenger was an excaped ferret that used the passenger footwell as a latrine, and refused to exit the vehicle for a full 24 hours.

Now, are you quite sure that you STILL wish to be my friend?

Perhaps, Azz, it might be an idea to ask what qualities a member looks for in a friend?

Oh, and if you must know who my favourite comedian is - and cannot guess - I will give you a clue or two. It's that wonderful Scot's fellow with the long hair and purple beard, who rides a trike and punctuates many a sentence with the 'F' word.
Hey, how about giving Azz a break. He's put alot of hard work into this site and we love it. It was funny for a while but not anymore.
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2009, 12:32 AM

Sorry, Az, can't think of any other questions to add. I see nothing at all wrong with the way it is at present. You have done a great job and have put a lot of time and effort into the board. Thank you for that

AlH - do you mean Billy Connelly? That idiot! Can't stand him and I remember him when he went to St Gerard's school, which was at the other end of the street I stayed in! He learnt all his jokes from listening to the workers from the shipyards when he was an apprentice there!
AlH
New Member!
South Wales
AlH is female 

12-12-2009, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by buzzie ->
Hey, how about giving Azz a break. He's put alot of hard work into this site and we love it. It was funny for a while but not anymore.
Buzzie, in no way do I criticise Azz in my post, neither have I implied he does other than put in a lot of hard work. I know only too well how much work is involved in running a forum, or how dedicated one must be to do so - and I am sure Azz realises that, and why I am aware of it.

In answer to his request in the OP, I have made some suggestions, but also raised some points all need to be aware of. Don't forget, guests can view this forum, and no one is necessarily vetted prior to registration here.

Just because all here are supposed to be over 50, doesn't mean all reading the forum do so for legitimate reasons, and although I may attempt to add a little humour to some posts - even if such isn't appreciated - it doesn't mean there isn't a serious message there.

Whatever, I am sure that Azz understands that, and that he knows he has no reason to feel he need defend himself from me - but would be more than capable of doing so himself, if such were the case.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2009, 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by buzzie ->
Agree, Buzzie!
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2009, 02:08 AM

Lol it's ok Guys, AIH is a big pussy cat really. And did I say she was mad? Like Totally MAD

She does raise some valid points - although to be honest, I think most of us here are wise enough to know that we should only put on the web what we feel comfortable with. (There is actually a privacy option to hide your profile from non-members too btw - it also prevents your profile picture from showing in the members list to those not registered).

Personally, my golden rule is never to put anything on the web I wouldn't be happy to see public. Because even if we did restrict certain items to just 'friends' - whos to say they won't copy and paste and blab all your secrets away?

I will make a note to say the info is optional, as I do think that's needed, especially if we add lots more

Also, if you are worried about your privacy on this site or how we might use data, check our privacy policy and terms of use (links at bottom of every page)
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2009, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Azz ->
. And all questions are optional (I should probably add that somewhere )
Originally Posted by AlH ->

Having reached an age when I am more than eligible to join an over 50 forum I can actually work out for myself that filling in a profile is optional and if I don't feel comfortable with answering a question I leave it blank, no one is twisting my arm .

I thought the idea of the profile questions was to give fellow members a sense of having mutual interests. On our sister forum people have contacted me because I have specified in my profile that I have a particular breed of dog and they feel we share that in common and can compare notes or they are looking for information on the breed.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top