Join for free
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2014, 04:53 PM

The Religion - a book.

I've just finished a book that I thoroughly enjoyed reading - The Religion, by Tim Willocks.

It's about the Great Siege of Malta in 1565 but with a twist that really gets you - I had tears in my eyes towards the end!

I was born in Malta so some of the drama was in places I've actually been to but not realised the full horror of what happened, despite extensive reading on the subject.

The final battle to eject Suleiman's forces took place exactly where my wife and I were based in 1996 and 1998 but I'd never known that until I read this book, including the beach I'd always cherished from distant memory.

Imagining the scenes there in 1565 with thousands of Muslim troops mown down by Christian forces near that beach it now seems obvious to me why I felt the way that I did there.

Over 7000 Maltese died in the battles for the island but Suleiman lost 40,000!

Definitely a recommended book! stevmk2
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2014, 05:16 PM

Re: The Religion - a book.

Sounds good - will look for it !
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2014, 05:16 PM

the great religions of the world have never agreed with each other and have manifested this in extreme atrocities - for example the almost forgotten atrocities in Europe and now between Muslims and Muslims in Syria - the tale goes on.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2014, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
the great religions of the world have never agreed with each other and have manifested this in extreme atrocities - for example the almost forgotten atrocities in Europe and now between Muslims and Muslims in Syria - the tale goes on.
Er..........this is FILM,TV, BOOKS gumbud.

I'm recommending a book that I've read - nothing really to do with religion so it's not a Discussion as such. stevmk2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top