Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2009, 10:25 AM

The joys of being single.

I think being single is very underrated. We seem to be conditioned to accept we must have a partner at all cost.

I was widowed 25 years ago and made a conscious decision to spend the rest of my life single.
I look around at some of my friends and family who are in unsatisfactory relationships and think how lucky I am to be my own mistress.

So if you suddenly find you are alone don't despair , being single has many advantages.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2009, 05:43 PM

Re: The joys of being single.

I think there's a lot of truth in that Meg!

I think society conditions us to think we should settle down, get married etc, but, it's actually un-natural (if you look at what happens in nature). There are benefits to being in a relationship, companionship, security etc - but I don't think that should ever offset happiness.

Times are changing, and I think there will be more and more single people in the future
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2009, 10:30 PM

I'm single, never married, and perfectly content with it!
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2009, 10:46 PM

I too am single, never been married and am very happy with my life-wouldn't have it any other way-not for any particular reason-I'm just happy being me!
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2009, 11:28 PM

I am married but separated for more than 10 years. My last wife taught me one thing that has gotten me through life. There are worse things than living alone.
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2009, 02:51 PM

Coincidentally, we had a long talk about future bereavement etc whilst on holiday recently. Not that we were feeling miserable, or unwell, or anything, but the subject came up and for once we didn't avoid it. My OH and I both said that we can't envisage being with anybody else - my reason was very prosaic "You drive me up the wall enough, even after all this time; no way would I want to be forever accommodating to somebody else and their foibles and failings" So, I guess that means that if he predeceases me (just let him try - I have warned him not to!) I am going to be lonely, in the house at least. Thank heavens for pets.
But who knows - being single might be good, once you are used to it.
Lainey
Aberdeen
Lainey is female  Lainey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2009, 09:20 PM

I agree that being single is under rated. Although I have a partner of more than 6 years now, there was a time when I was single for a long time and loved it.
I too look at friends in unhappy relationships and it saddens me to watch them fight to keep it that way too.
My G drives me mad at times, we fight and agree but mostly we fight
Thats not stictly true, I am very cruel about him but mostly in jest.
We rub along just fine
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2009, 12:37 AM

Being alone doesn't bother me either, . . I'm my favourite person, . . I get on great with myself.
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2009, 12:42 AM

After 3 failed marriages I've learned there are worse things than being alone. There's a huge difference between being alone and being lonely. I've not been lonely in more than ten years. My last wife broke me of that affliction.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2009, 02:39 AM

I echo that remark, Bob, too many people confuse "alone" with "lonely"..T'ain't so!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top