Join for free
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2019, 12:58 AM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
did ya bring ya camera CM - there's gonna be some awesome pics in a mo!
Oh, I am waiting for them.

Hello Ciderz, I have seen the awful news my lovely. x
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2019, 02:03 AM

I must say Goodnight Possums.

John boy I will see you tomorrow with more stories. xxx
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2019, 08:11 AM

goodnight maryellen - stories yummy!!
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2019, 12:31 PM

A great read there Sweetie, thank you.

I think a great deal of your outlook on life is formed when you are between the ages of 6 to 12, but that’s just my opinion.
My older brother and me spent most of our childhood in our maternal grandmothers house, a very old house 10 minutes walk from the city centre, it had no electricity upstairs and each night after telling us a ghost story the granny would lead us up the creaky stairs to bed by candlelight, our bed was squashed into the small box room at the end of her bed, her single daughter used to sleep with her, while in the larger bedroom there were three beds, one for the grumpy grandfather and the other two for the two sons.
Granny’s ‘children’ would range in age at this time from between 30 and 40, all were single and all were tee total except the youngest ‘boy’ Joe, he was our favourite uncle, always joking and telling tall tales to us kids, he liked his pint and used to sing naughty funny songs when he had a few on him, he worked very hard on the railway as a fireman and never missed a days work in his life.
My granny and Joe seemed to have the same temperament, happy cheerful individuals, whereas the other three were dull and narky most of the time, Joe and the granny used to give us the price of the cinema for Saturday and Sunday afternoons, the others were as tight as a camels arse in a sandstorm, but it did teach me to hate stinginess and greed in a person, an old saying of hers was “You can share a nut”

Talking of stuttering, we had a boy in our class at school who had it very bad, 'F' was the one of his bogey words, he could never get past it without great difficulty. We had some cruel teachers back then, fond of swinging the cane and insulting pupils, I remember him grinning and saying to my stammering classmate when he was stuck on the 'F' in France in a geography lesson "Now look here William, if you can't say the word try whistling it" A very cruel man indeed.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2019, 10:25 PM

I have to give a very short speech at the Goldsmiths Spring Dance next month, I’m practicing how to talk proper and lose me accent if only for the few minutes I’ll be talking, personally I wouldn’t touch it with a barge pole but the wife wants to go and take her favourite sister along with us, unfortunately they can’t attend without me being there too.
They’re a posh lot attending, waltz’s, tango’s and foxtrots will be the order of the nights dancing, no band, too common, a 12 piece orchestra will play, formal dress and all that bullshit.
Three particular words are featured in the speech and I want to get the correct posh pronunciation for each word.
They are, Water, Butter, and Garage, I was going to put in the word ‘Putty’ as well, as an example of how some bad stone setters set stones, the old goldsmiths used to say that “The stones would be safer set in Putty as with some of todays setters”. but that might not go down too well with this lot.
Here are a few examples of how these words are sometimes spoken and some of the accents used, actually what I’m aiming for is a 1950’s BBC radio announcers accent for the couple of minutes I’ll be on stage, but I’d settle for a Michael Aspel sound.

Which way would you say the following words to a crowd of posh oldies.

Water
He fell into the woe ter
He fell into the wart or.
He fell into the wah sir.

Butter
She bought a pound of butt ter..
She bought a pound of but der.
She bought a pound of bush her.

Garage
The family car is in the garr arge.
The family car is in the gar radge
The family car is in the gar idge.

Please note. Only genuine replies from genuine time wasters will be considered, tink yo.

Who remembers that lovely man Kenneth Kendal back in the 50’s.

spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2019, 10:44 PM

Not me, but the name rings a bell.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2019, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
I have to give a very short speech at the Goldsmiths Spring Dance next month, I’m practicing how to talk proper and lose me accent if only for the few minutes I’ll be talking, personally I wouldn’t touch it with a barge pole but the wife wants to go and take her favourite sister along with us, unfortunately they can’t attend without me being there too.
They’re a posh lot attending, waltz’s, tango’s and foxtrots will be the order of the nights dancing, no band, too common, a 12 piece orchestra will play, formal dress and all that bullshit.
Three particular words are featured in the speech and I want to get the correct posh pronunciation for each word.
They are, Water, Butter, and Garage, I was going to put in the word ‘Putty’ as well, as an example of how some bad stone setters set stones, the old goldsmiths used to say that “The stones would be safer set in Putty as with some of todays setters”. but that might not go down too well with this lot.
Here are a few examples of how these words are sometimes spoken and some of the accents used, actually what I’m aiming for is a 1950’s BBC radio announcers accent for the couple of minutes I’ll be on stage, but I’d settle for a Michael Aspel sound.

Which way would you say the following words to a crowd of posh oldies.

Water
He fell into the woe ter
He fell into the wart or.
He fell into the wah sir.

Butter
She bought a pound of butt ter..
She bought a pound of but der.
She bought a pound of bush her.

Garage
The family car is in the garr arge.
The family car is in the gar radge
The family car is in the gar idge.

Please note. Only genuine replies from genuine time wasters will be considered, tink yo.

Who remembers that lovely man Kenneth Kendal back in the 50’s.

3, 1, 1 - but if yuz were gassin to a bunch of ozzies you'd go:

warra ; lard ; back shed!
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia

16-03-2019, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Not me, but the name rings a bell.
spittie will ya stop walkin aboot wid does bells in ya head??
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset

16-03-2019, 11:48 PM

Blimey I can't do a story this late.

I can only just type.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia

16-03-2019, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by Sweetie pie ->
Blimey I can't do a story this late.

I can only just type.
well ya my type?? max bygraves - " I wanna tell ya a storee"

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top