Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Nobaggage
Cornwall UK/ Carcassonne France
Nobaggage is female  Nobaggage has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2013, 08:32 PM

Re: Over 60s Activities?

I tried to look for some information for you on google but this was all I could find ..as you see its for charity and all the old ladies I have seen in the past love it ....

http://www.thisiscornwall.co.uk/Owne...#axzz2fYbyrXyy

maybe you could contact people like fire brigade and hgv owners and run a day for charity near you ?
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2013, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Nobaggage ->
art .... paintballing ?

In cornwall we have a place where you can go as a group to learn to drive HGV and other big things like fire engings and tractors , the oldies love it and it is very save , they have a great time. Do you have one of them near you ?

Errrmmm Baggy darlin' - do they have chieftain tanks there??? and if so, can I borrow one for a few hours
valice
Chatterbox
Wirral UK
valice is female  valice has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2013, 09:30 AM

In our local community centre, the art group is popular and full and so is the line dancing.
We go for indoor short mat bowls, small membership and might cost a bit to set up, but could do a bean bag boules or skittles more cheaply.
Graham
South Hampshire
Graham is male  Graham has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2013, 10:53 AM

Something more useful to me would be something on how to get a better job. I can't afford or have time for, or have any inclination to go to "Tea dances", I have to earn my keep.

Our local town hall is organising - with the help of some elderly care group - a afternoon of teas, dances, exercises, sing-song for the over 55's!! I'm not quite in the that bracket yet, but it came across as a bit of an insult. Since when does 55 (or 60) be defined as "Elderly" and do they think when anyone reaches a certain age, their brain shuts down and suddenly want to go to teas, play Bingo and moan about the weather and the "good old days"???
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2013, 01:57 PM

C'mon guys... a lot of these ideas are for OLD people.

There was a programme about taking risk some time ago and it introduced the idea of 'micromorts' - the chance in a million of dying while undertaking any particular activity.

So, when you're young, the chance of just dying are low, so many sports etc are relatively risky. BUT when you're older the chances of dying naturally outweigh the risks of the sports , so logically, older people should have no problem in taking risks...

so, forget the tea dance....

1. Go for a tandem skydive..
2. go 'wing walking'
3. go white water rafting..
4. climb a mountain.
5. ride a motorbike down Route 66..
6. go deer stalking / salmon fishing in the highlands
7. take a cruise on a 'tall ship'.
8. take flying lessons
9. learn how to sail a dingy.
10. there must be a 10 somewhere - yes - learn to Scuba dive.

That's the sort of things we should be doing.
Nobaggage
Cornwall UK/ Carcassonne France
Nobaggage is female  Nobaggage has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2013, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Errrmmm Baggy darlin' - do they have chieftain tanks there??? and if so, can I borrow one for a few hours
They do UJ ... as the fireservice , army and all the other services get involed as it is for charity.
Can I sit in the back and call you james ??
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2013, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Nobaggage ->
They do UJ ... as the fireservice , army and all the other services get involed as it is for charity.
Can I sit in the back and call you james ??

No Baggy darlin' - I intend to use it 'for real' - parked on the south side of Westminster Bridge with the gun pointing across the river and my finger on the trigger - all this about 12.05 one Wednesday afternoon when the 'House' is sitting!!!
valice
Chatterbox
Wirral UK
valice is female  valice has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2013, 09:29 AM

Grumblewagon, you might like to do those 10 things, but it doesn't appeal to me, not even when I was much younger.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2013, 11:24 AM

To be honest Valice, not all of them appeal to me. My point is that as we get older, we should be adventurous and not be afraid of taking a few risks. Loads of opportunities exist that are a lot more exciting than a tea dance or a gentle cruise down the river.

Let's have some fun and grow old disgracefully!
valice
Chatterbox
Wirral UK

23-09-2013, 12:01 PM

Don't knock the tea dances, we go to 2 a week, good place to meet people socially, a good place for some exercise without thinking about it, and a workout of the memory in remembering dance patterns and learning new ones.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top