Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2018, 01:58 PM

Why Do Some Older People You Meet, Have To Mention Their Age ?

Do they mention their age because they want you to look at them in disbelief and say, ‘Well you don’t look it!’ Or, Aren’t you great for your age?’

I was at the checkout in a supermarket yesterday being served, when the woman behind me was telling the young man serving that it wasn’t good for him to sit so long!

I turned to her and she said, ‘l am telling him, he should walk round a bit and not sit for so long.... l am 82’!

I wasn’t sure if she was saying it, to fish for compliments, so that l would say, ‘No you’re not, you can’t be 82’! Or, she needed to remind herself of her age?!!

Do you find this with older people? I find lots say it! Maybe they are just proud to be that age?

When we were 20, 30, 40 etc, l don’t remember announcing my age to people l spoke to!
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2018, 02:09 PM

Re: Why Do Some Older People You Meet, Have To Mention Their Age ?

Hello ... I am 55.

People tell me I have not changed at all in the last 20 years .... so I must always have looked, 55.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2018, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
Hello ... I am 55.

People tell me I have not changed at all in the last 20 years .... so I must always have looked, 55.
That’s funny!!

Instead, start saying, you’re 85 and you’ll be bombarded with compliments!

Make sure you have your lippy on too!!
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2018, 02:23 PM

LOL, I lost count in my late 60's!! Couldn't remember whether I was 67, 68 or 69 when my birthday came around. I had to count the years from birth before I was convinced how old I really was.

I NEVER mention my age in discussions. It's bad enough just knowing myself how old I ruddy well am!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

22-03-2018, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
LOL, I lost count in my late 60's!! Couldn't remember whether I was 67, 68 or 69 when my birthday came around. I had to count the years from birth before I was convinced how old I really was.

I NEVER mention my age in discussions. It's bad enough just knowing myself how old I ruddy well am!
HaHa, SG. That is exactly why l am keeping quiet about my age!
As you say, knowing it, is bad enough!

Did l tell you, l am 90? Oh, go on say it...... l don’t look it!!
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2018, 02:28 PM

My opinion Art is that once you’ve reached 80 age is spoken about as a matter of pride in reaching it and in that particular lady you were listening to the fact that she’s still standing and able to go shopping .
There are lots younger in care homes because of illness?
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

22-03-2018, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Zuleika ->
My opinion Art is that once you’ve reached 80 age is spoken about as a matter of pride in reaching it and in that particular lady you were listening to the fact that she’s still standing and able to go shopping .
There are lots younger in care homes because of illness?

Yes, Zuleika. I agree but some do it out of vanity and think they don’t look their age but they do!
That makes it very awkward for your reply, especially if you don’t tell lies!!

In this instance, her age was not relevant!
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2018, 02:32 PM

I have no problem revealing my age (68) if asked, even by a child. My maternal grandmother, who died in 1980 in her 82nd year, when asked that question, would say, 'I am as old as my tongue, and a little older than my teeth.'
Heatherbelle
Canada
Heatherbelle is female  Heatherbelle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2018, 03:21 PM

Tarantula: Your grandmother's response sure got me laughing - what a great answer.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2018, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
I have no problem revealing my age (68) if asked, even by a child. My maternal grandmother, who died in 1980 in her 82nd year, when asked that question, would say, 'I am as old as my tongue, and a little older than my teeth.'
My Gran used to say that as well.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top