Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2018, 05:00 PM

Re: Why Do Some Older People You Meet, Have To Mention Their Age ?

I actually wish people would mention it more often, I have a terrible time telling how old people are some look very young for their actual age and more embarrassing if they look older than they really are.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2018, 05:14 PM

I am happy for people to mention their age as long as nobody mentions mine!
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2018, 05:34 PM

Good for them i say, why do women Knock years off their real age. Caught a few out over the years.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2018, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
Good for them i say, why do women Knock years off their real age. Caught a few out over the years.
I don't know why some lie about their age, I think that is stupid.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2018, 06:29 PM

The only time I mention my age is at the gym and usually to the younger lads in their twenties who don't put the effort in. They are always surprised when I tell them I'm 53.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2018, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
The only time I mention my age is at the gym and usually to the younger lads in their twenties who don't put the effort in. They are always surprised when I tell them I'm 53.
Bliddy yung-un
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2018, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
Bliddy yung-un
I call it "desperately trying to cling on to my youth". Time is quickly running out
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2018, 07:07 PM

Most older folk tell people their age because they’re glad to still be here
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2018, 08:27 PM

As has been said, it could be age is mentioned because of pride in still being around to say it. Just tell people they are doing OK. That way you don't have to remark on how young or old they look. Or maybe it's the opposite and they would like you to make allowances for their age and condition. Just have to judge by the stance and eyes sometimes.

I don't mind saying how old I am if it's relevant to what's being spoken/written about. I reckon I look my age but the energy level is possibly that of a younger person, so it might be thought that I'm good for my age.
twizzle
somerset
twizzle is female  twizzle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2018, 08:36 PM

It could be a sort of second childhood thing and we revert back to the days when we used to boast we were six and three quarters.

Mostly, though, I think it's hoping that you'll tell them they don't look it, they're doing well for their age etc, a bit of reassurance.

I always oblige and tell them how young they look, they haven't changed a bit etc, even if it's not true. A little white lie to put the spring in someone's step.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top