Join for free
Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2018, 03:03 PM

Re: The state of our roads

Until about 6 months ago there were pot holes on the main road through our town (which in the past had always been well maintained).
A few icy winters back to back caused them and they got gradually worse (less money in the council pot I'm assuming)
At the left turn I take in to our estate, you couldn't avoid going over two massive ones. One was that deep that unless you were used to it it would snatch the steering wheel out of your hand as the car wheels shot off course.
There must have been so many complaints that they finally did something about it
Some of the side roads are still really bad.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2018, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
Until about 6 months ago there were pot holes on the main road through our town (which in the past had always been well maintained).
A few icy winters back to back caused them and they got gradually worse (less money in the council pot I'm assuming)
At the left turn I take in to our estate, you couldn't avoid going over two massive ones. One was that deep that unless you were used to it it would snatch the steering wheel out of your hand as the car wheels shot off course.
There must have been so many complaints that they finally did something about it
Some of the side roads are still really bad.
My philosophy would be that if all the motorists who sustained damage due to pot holes made a claim for financial restitution, the council would soon realise that it would prove less expensive to repair the damned things.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2018, 07:41 PM

One of the things that resolved our pothole problem when we lived in the Midwest was an ordinance that allowed people to make claims against the city for pothol damaged to wheels, tires, and suspensions. Once passed, they created a team whose primary job was to drive around and repair them. Now they have an app in which people can report holes and other road damage. From those records, they formed plans from which repaving priorities were established.

Don't get too excited, though - our property taxes were agonizingly high.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2018, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
One of the things that resolved our pothole problem when we lived in the Midwest was an ordinance that allowed people to make claims against the city for pothol damaged to wheels, tires, and suspensions. Once passed, they created a team whose primary job was to drive around and repair them. Now they have an app in which people can report holes and other road damage. From those records, they formed plans from which repaving priorities were established.

Don't get too excited, though - our property taxes were agonizingly high.
We already have the first provision, but the second one is less apparent. I'm not saying that the councils don't have such a team, it's just that I've never seen them in action!

Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top