Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2018, 07:14 PM

Re: On being 87 years old

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Happy birthday, Mr. Magoo!

I read your post with great interest. Eighty-seven years of life on this planet is indeed something worthy of celebration - even with some of the bittersweet mixed in.

I have to tell you that you seem sharp as a tack! Whether good genes, good lifestyle, or a little of both have contributed to that, you have the good fortune of being able to carve out a full life within the boundaries that age is throwing your way which is not only admirable but extraordinary!

Euphoria to sadness - I understand that too. What do you do to push past the down times? What is giving you the most pleasure in life and as a you are contemplating being on the planet for almost nine decades? As you look over your shoulder to those of us who are not far behind, what do recommend that others should be doing, not doing, considering, etc.? You have a valuable perspective, particularly because you seem to be navigating your life in such a competent way.

That said, I hope that this particular day doesn't find you dwelling too much on the philisophical, but out out there enjoying the day along with the simple joys and satisfaction of living.

Cheers and again, a happy birthday to you!
Wow surfermom
They were all things I wanted to say
Without having the cerebral capacity to type it in words
Peg
New Member!
Kent
Peg is female 

01-04-2018, 08:36 PM

Hope you have had a very Happy day Mr.Magoo.I tell my lot that I am going to stick around until I am 100 and be a damned nuisance to them all and I'm well on the way. A good sense of humour seems to me to be an essential ingredient in life, whatever your age.
sarah kay
kent
sarah kay is female  sarah kay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2018, 08:58 PM

Happy birthday I lived in London too long time ago.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2018, 10:59 PM

Age is a problem, in that there is no choice in it, apart from going against the grain.
dilly
New Member!
usa
dilly is female 

01-04-2018, 11:20 PM

happy birthday mr. magoo
Mr Magoo
London
Mr Magoo is male  Mr Magoo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2018, 10:06 AM

Hello Surfermom

Your posting has impressed me deeply and I feel that it deserves a considered reply.

I suppose having good genes probably has helped me to join the throng of people who are living longer than their parents did. I have thought of it as simply luck combined with better medical intervention. For instance in 2004 I was diagnosed with high blood pressure and I have been taking the appropriate medication ever since. I reckon that the exercise must also play a part in my survival.

My unscientific observation of people of my age is that those who do not (or cannot) take exercise is that they more readily succumb to the pitfalls of advancing old age. So exercise is certainly something that I would recommend. It is never too late to start. I pass on the following maxim. Gentle exercise is better than no exercise and vigorous exercise is even better than gentle exercise.

I am also aware that my wife and I are fortunate in that we are intact as a pair. Friends of ours have lost a partner and deeply feel the loss for practical as well as emotional reasons. This is of course also a matter of luck.

Having an interest is also a factor. People who sit and just stare into space have nothing to live for.

That is about all I can think at the moment.

Thank you also those who people who have sent me their good wishes since the last time I posted a thank you.
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2018, 12:50 PM

Belated greetings from me Mr Magoo ,I wasn’t online yesterday .
I’m sure having one’s spouse alive too gives impetus to keeping the spirits up .Lonliness in old age is the cause of much depression in advancing years we’re being told.
I hope you continue to have have a good life and many more birthdays .
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2018, 01:19 PM

A very happy belated birthday to you Mr. Magoo, wishing you good health and many more birthdays.
My apologies as I’ve just seen this thread today.

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top