Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2018, 07:21 PM

Hospice Care

It was actually my GP who brought this up with me.

At some point I may have to go into a hospice for long-term care as my cancer is incurable.

Does anyone have experience of such places? Perhaps you have had a relative who was in one.

It's depressing just thinking about it but there are a few near me with excellent reviews.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2018, 07:29 PM

Re: Hospice Care

Actually, my experiences with hospice care and those who work in hospice is extraordinary. How they do it is beyond me; I suppose it is people for whom it is a calling, but I have found hospice to be one of the most positive, respectful, peace-inducing, empathetic of services and experiences out there. Those involved somehow make what could be a scary, lonely, depressing, and painful time of life anything but. I really recommend finding out more about it, Ffosse.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2018, 07:40 PM

I'm looking into it but obviously it's a last resort.

Remembering times in the past when I could say to myself that I absolutely needed to be in hospital because I was ill and couldn't look after myself at home, I fear the inevitable I'm afraid.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2018, 07:58 PM

Yes, Dreamy my Mum chose that at the end.
It was scary for me at first, as I had never ever been in one.
But, many of my school friends were working in the one Mum went to.
That was a comfort to me.
They really are wonderful places.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2018, 08:18 PM

I'm so sorry to know you have incurable cancer Fosse. I've never been inside a hospice but all I ever hear about them is how they are such peaceful and respectful places with the best of care given enabling us to live out our final days on earth with such dignity.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2018, 08:22 PM

Ffosse think of a Hospice as 'home from home ' with special care. Hopefully, you will be in your home for some time to come but don't be apprehensive if you have to stay in one.

I have visited people in a hospice and a family member works in one as a Liaison nurse, a go between for the patient and their families. Hospices provide an amazing service.

I would speak to your GP again and while you still have some energy to do things, try to go and look around some in your area. You can of course do some research on the Internet too.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh

01-04-2018, 08:30 PM

I'm still at the accepting/non accepting stage. When my Hodgkin's Lymphoma went into remission 18 months ago I was overjoyed. I believed it was cured and it is a curable cancer.

Now I have non-Hodgkin's where tumours can pop up anywhere (I've got one in my spinal column although it has shrunk) and the prognosis isn't great. It's incurable yet treatable so I could have a few years left - perhaps as much as a decade, or maybe only a few more months.

I'll discuss this more with the Consultant on Tuesday plus find out what their immediate plans are: continuing with the chemo, I imagine. I'll need to get stitches taken out then anyway.

I made friends with 2 people in hospital with whom I stay in touch: texts etc. plus one of them visited me the last time I was in and I have visited the other one when he was in. Similar types of blood cancer.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2018, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
I'm still at the accepting/non accepting stage. When my Hodgkin's Lymphoma went into remission 18 months ago I was overjoyed. I believed it was cured and it is a curable cancer.

Now I have non-Hodgkin's where tumours can pop up anywhere (I've got one in my spinal column although it has shrunk) and the prognosis isn't great. It's incurable yet treatable so I could have a few years left - perhaps as much as a decade, or maybe only a few more months.

I'll discuss this more with the Consultant on Tuesday plus find out what their immediate plans are: continuing with the chemo, I imagine.
That is good Ffosse but my suggestion still stands to familiarise yourself with what is available so if the time comes when you need their services you will feel comfortable about going there.
I hope that time won't come for some years..
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh

01-04-2018, 08:37 PM

Yes, already I have a place in mind which has an excellent record.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2018, 08:47 PM

Sorry to here about your situation Ffosse but be comforted by the fact that hospices by and large are one of the best places to face your final days.

Our local Kirkwood Hospice is a fantastic place, such a feeling of peace and tranquillity and staff that can't do enough for the people in their care. My son-in-law, who died four years ago on Tuesday, spent his final two weeks in the hospice. They washed and fed him, allowed him drinks of beer when he wanted some and generally made his last days comfortable. This is in contrast to my wife who was put in a side ward at the local hospital and basically forgotten about until she died.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top