Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
DWebb
North East, UK
DWebb is male  DWebb has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2018, 06:54 PM

Light Bulbs

When did they become so complicated and expensive I had just got my head around the halogen replacement and now they have been replaced with LED bulbs, expensive as well, I saw some sort of fancy bulb for £12 , the one I got has a 15 year guarantee, I have a feeling it might outlast me
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2018, 06:58 PM

Re: Light Bulbs

Originally Posted by DWebb ->
When did they become so complicated and expensive I had just got my head around the halogen replacement and now they have been replaced with LED bulbs, expensive as well, I saw some sort of fancy bulb for £12 , the one I got has a 15 year guarantee, I have a feeling it might outlast me
I've just noticed the same thing. I was looking for new light shades and bulbs at homebase and nearly fell over when I saw the price of the bulbs.
DWebb
North East, UK
DWebb is male  DWebb has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2018, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Mondays child ->
I've just noticed the same thing. I was looking for new light shades and bulbs at homebase and nearly fell over when I saw the price of the bulbs.
It made me wonder how hard up people cope, or are they all sitting the dark? I mean £12 for one bulb
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2018, 07:08 PM

These new bulbs, as expensive as they are, will likely never need replaced, 15 to 20 years will be common place and they use about one sixth of the power. I'm still using an LED desk lamp from around 2009 and it has been fine.

The fancy lamp I bought this week uses just 10 Watts but gives out the same light as an old 60W bulb.

swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2018, 07:10 PM

Hi

Much cheaper online.

I like LEDs, I use the daylight ones.

They may be more expensive to buy, but they last forever and are so much cheaper to run.
DWebb
North East, UK

30-09-2018, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
These new bulbs, as expensive as they are, will likely never need replaced, 15 to 20 years will be common place and they use about one sixth of the power. I'm still using an LED desk lamp from around 2009 and it has been fine.

The fancy lamp I bought this week uses just 10 Watts but gives out the same light as an old 60W bulb.
Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Much cheaper online.

I like LEDs, I use the daylight ones.

They may be more expensive to buy, but they last forever and are so much cheaper to run.
Not sure I need them to last 15 years
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2018, 07:16 PM

Still, you never need worry about their failing. I can remember light bulbs stopping working suddenly and you had to have a replacement ready or be in the dark.

It's a bit like watches now having solar-powered movements that are good for around 15 years. And these are quite cheap watches, also.

I really like my new lamp; it gives a nice even light throughout the room. The main light is also LED and can be changed to whatever colour I want via bluetooth. It does a cold to warm white, too. It was around £14 on Amazon. You just need an app on your phone to control it, but I leave mine white.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2018, 07:32 PM

LED lightbulbs don't have to be expensive. I recommended these to a friend and they work well apparently. They also do the Edison screw type bulbs for the same price.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-bc-gl...w-5-pack/3118t
DWebb
North East, UK

30-09-2018, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
LED lightbulbs don't have to be expensive. I recommended these to a friend and they work well apparently. They also do the Edison screw type bulbs for the same price.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-bc-gl...w-5-pack/3118t
That’s not bad, I got a couple for £1.50 each at Asda
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2018, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
Still, you never need worry about their failing. I can remember light bulbs stopping working suddenly and you had to have a replacement ready or be in the dark.

It's a bit like watches now having solar-powered movements that are good for around 15 years. And these are quite cheap watches, also.

I really like my new lamp; it gives a nice even light throughout the room. The main light is also LED and can be changed to whatever colour I want via bluetooth. It does a cold to warm white, too. It was around £14 on Amazon. You just need an app on your phone to control it, but I leave mine white.
I really like it too Ffosse, when you've done with it pass it this way

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top