Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2018, 07:58 PM

Re: Light Bulbs

Originally Posted by DWebb ->
Not sure I need them to last 15 years
Don't worry, I'm not sure they will.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2018, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Much cheaper online.

I like LEDs, I use the daylight ones.

They may be more expensive to buy, but they last forever and are so much cheaper to run.
Nail on head.
We have been using LED status indicator lamps on our electrical panels and indicator lamps on printed circuit boards for about 30 years and I have no record of a single failure.
DWebb
North East, UK
DWebb is male  DWebb has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2018, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Don't worry, I'm not sure they will.
I am pretty sure I will not
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2018, 09:13 PM

I have recently changed to the Led bulbs after having a lot of problems with the long curly energy savings ones.

They were recommended to me to try, and I am chuffed to bits at how much better they have been to the previous sort.

I think they were about a fiver in Wilkinsons for a box of three bulbs.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2018, 10:38 PM

I changed my landing downlighters for LEDs. It looks like the birth of the sun when I flick the switch.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2018, 10:52 PM

Given the apparent rise in cases of SAD, it would make sense for more lightbulbs which lux out the relevant thingies (for want of a better term)to be used as a matter of course, rather than having to purchase "daylight lamps"

On the subject of bulb longevity, perhaps someone could write a new kiddies song to replace "My Grandfather's Clock"

Here's a possible starter, with the same tune:

"My grandfather's bulb was too bright for the lamp,
So it stood 90 years in the dark.
It was lighter by half than the old lamp itself,
Though it cost over a penny to buy more.
It was bought on the whim, on a day that he was bored
And was always his treasure and pride.

But it blew! Out!
Never to light again
When the Old Man Died..."

In case there are any heathens on here who have no idea what song I'm referring to, here it is:
DWebb
North East, UK
DWebb is male  DWebb has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2018, 11:47 PM

To be fair the light coming off the LED bulb is not to bad, I thought it might be harsh but it is fine
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2018, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by DWebb ->
To be fair the light coming off the LED bulb is not to bad, I thought it might be harsh but it is fine

As I said earlier, I am very pleased with mine, plus they don't take half hour to brighten up either.
DWebb
North East, UK

30-09-2018, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
As I said earlier, I am very pleased with mine, plus they don't take half hour to brighten up either.
I might be converted
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2018, 11:58 PM

What I don't get is that when pocket calculators first came into mass usage back in circa 1980, the displays were LED. As indeed were many little lights that indicated whether something was "on" or not. How come it's taken all this time to work out that LED's can produce cheap and efficient lighting?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top