Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2018, 01:32 AM

Plastic pollution

We keep hearing about plastic waste in the environment.

They have now said within the next few short years, this waste is likely to increase by 500% if we don't find a solution.

Did anyone else see the programme "Drowning in Plastic" about the sea pollution and what is doing to marine life?
Baby seals, whales, and all other marine life dying daily because of humans.

We have polluted our own planet, we have polluted the air with space debris, and now we are polluting the oceans as well.

Minute particles - micro plastic particles - are now in the food we eat, the air we breath and the water we drink.
I find that unacceptable and scary.

Could this perhaps be a reason why cancers have increased - in humans and animals?
I also read a long time ago about male fertility waning because of our water supplies.

Gardeners will be affected too, as they are bringing out new plastic 'type' plant pots that can be taken to landfull.
But I read an interesting viewpoint today in my gardening magazine about the usual black plastic plant pots.

Peter Seabrook says, instead of trying to invent plastics pots that are bio-degradeable, why not just improve the equipment in the recycling screening centres instead, which at present cannot pick out black flower pots due to their carbon content?

One company, called " The Hairy Plant Pot Company" are now using Coir pots which are being bought in from Sri Lanka, but these will cost more.

Many of us probably go about our daily lives without giving much thought to pollution, but it is a serious problem nevertheless.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2018, 01:44 AM

Re: Plastic pollution

Hi Mups. I heard an interesting radio article a few weeks ago on Radio 4's Gardener's Question Time about the very subject of recycling non-degradable pots and how some garden centres are creating the opportunity for gardeners to return their disused/old pots.

I'd send you a link to the podcast, but BBC doesn't seem to include contents of it's GQT episodes.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2018, 03:47 AM

We will never get away from plastic because it's become central to everything from medical equipment to a good portion of your car.

I've spent years cleaning it up from beaches and waterways and advocating for the elimination of single-use plastic bags (helped win that battle in Hawai'i).

When we run out of petroleum, plastic will become a precious commodity. Until we legislate the elimination of some plastic, there's really no other way around its massive manufacturing and consumption.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2018, 07:45 AM

Plastic is everywhere, look at the supermarkets, we do our shopping once a week and I can fill up a large dustbin full of plastic wrapping what's on all the meat and vegetables that we buy, I do try to buy things that are not wrapped in plastic but you have no choice.

And today youngsters don't care about the Pollution, they just throw their plastic can anywhere in the street.

Only last Saturday I was in Town standing at the bus stop, the bus shelter was full of dirty chip wrappers and plastic McDonalds boxes scattered all over the floor, when their are dustbins sitting there next to the bus stop, where can't they put their rubbish in the bin.
Tezza
Kent
Tezza is male  Tezza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2018, 08:42 AM

It has been said many times that the human race will be the instigator of its own demise, and the more you see of the problems we are creating going unchecked the more that prophecy becomes relevant.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2018, 09:12 AM

Plastic pollution is most concerning and we need to come up with a good way of dealing with it.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2018, 09:39 AM

Once again the public is expected to clear up the mess left by big companies and governments. It's been known for a while now that plastic is destroying the environment but still we get junk mail wrapped in it and food packaged in it. We can still get black plastic containers, plant pots and we can still buy plastic straws.

It is impossible to continue without plastic but some things are achievable, so instead of charging the public for a carrier bag, just ban them. Of course, all countries will need to take part not just the Western world but I can't see that being high on their priority list.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2018, 09:46 AM

I think times are changing especially in the UK
companies and individuals are realising we have to change.

We need legislation though and the problem is of course it needs to be a world wide legislation against frivolous use of plastics....not sure how that will happen.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2018, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
I think times are changing especially in the UK
companies and individuals are realising we have to change.

We need legislation though and the problem is of course it needs to be a world wide legislation against frivolous use of plastics....not sure how that will happen.
Me neither.

summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2018, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Me neither.

Very interesting LD...China really need to sort it out !

It would be interesting to see similar research in Europe and where we figure in that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top