Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2018, 12:09 PM

Very ancient possessions

I own a very old key found in my Channel Island childhood home. The house is reputed to stand on the foundations of the one owned by the Minstrel Blondel who rescued Richard the Lionheart from imprisonment in Austria. My paternal family are believe to be direct descendants of Blondel. I used to tease my grandchildren that the key (just over 5inches long) is the one which unlocked the cell door.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ancient Key 2.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	7484  
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2018, 12:33 PM

Re: Very ancient possessions

Wow, Tara, I love that and the history.
I have an old trunk in my loft, no key?????
Goodness knows what is inside.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2018, 12:36 PM

"Er indoors" a real treasure
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2018, 12:36 PM

Wow, lucky you Tara. That is what I call Ancient!

Sweetie Pie, how do you do it? whether a key or not, there is no way I could leave a locked trunk in the attic without knowing what was in it!!! I know it would probably cost to have the lock broken, but honestly, I would just have to do it to see!
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2018, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Wow, lucky you Tara. That is what I call Ancient!

Sweetie Pie, how do you do it? whether a key or not, there is no way I could leave a locked trunk in the attic without knowing what was in it!!! I know it would probably cost to have the lock broken, but honestly, I would just have to do it to see!
It was left there by the previous owners. It is made of metal.
I don't want to break it open, the reason being is because of the voodoo masks I found tucked right up in the corner.
I call it Pandora's Box
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2018, 01:19 PM

LOL, To be honest sweetie, after watching too many ghost films, HWMO and I have always shared the saying about any antique box, trunk, case or casket type....."Never open that box!".One never knows what it contains!! spooky.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2018, 01:44 PM

I would always open a box, even if I suspected it contained a dead human body.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2018, 02:00 PM

These hang by our back gate...

Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2018, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
I own a very old key found in my Channel Island childhood home. The house is reputed to stand on the foundations of the one owned by the Minstrel Blondel who rescued Richard the Lionheart from imprisonment in Austria. My paternal family are believe to be direct descendants of Blondel. I used to tease my grandchildren that the key (just over 5inches long) is the one which unlocked the cell door.
Looks more like a key to a family crypt Tara.
Do your family have their own crypt? Most families of note had one within their own grounds.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK

05-10-2018, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
Looks more like a key to a family crypt Tara.
Do your family have their own crypt? Most families of note had one within their own grounds.
There was no crypt, it was a large farmhouse built in 1822, when the original property was burned down. My father eventually sold the property in 1984, as none of my siblings or myself wanted the place, and my parents were finding it too big for their requirements as they were in their early 60s.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top